Balgi UG coal mine
The Balgi Coal Mine is operated by South Eastern Coalfields Limited, a subsidiary of Coal India, in the village of Balgi in Tehsil Kathgora, Korba, Chhattisgarh, India.
The map below shows the location of the Balgi Underground Coal Mine Project.
Background on Mine
The mine, also known as the Balgi Underground Coal Mine Project, has a designed capacity of 0.36 million tonnes per annum. It is located on a mining lease area of 1026 ha.
The project started coal production from sep. 1984, when there was no pre-requisite for environmental clearance. However, the project obtained consent under Air (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act 1974 and under Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act 1977 for a production capacity of 0.312 Million Tonnes of coal per annum from the MP Pollution Control Board.
The Project exceeded the consented capacity (0.312 MTY) of coal production in the year 1997-98 and was asked to apply for fresh consent to establish. However, in the subsequent years the coal production drastically lowered because of some techno-economical reasons and the project was even considered for premature closure. Presently, the mining is being continued with coal production as 0.412375Mty (2008-09). 
In 2009, the mine applied for an expansion in capacity from 0.36 TPA to 0.60 MTPA normative with a peak production of 0.90 MTPA on the same mining lease area of 1026 ha on 20 March 2009.
- Sponsor: South Eastern Coalfields Limited
- Parent company: Coal India Limited
- Location: village, Balgi, Tehsil Kathgora, District Korba, State Chhattisgarh, India
- GPS coordinates: 22.372905,82.648540
- Status: Operating
- Capacity: 0.36 million tonnes per annum
- Production': 0.12 million tonnes (2020)
- Total Resource: 17.56 million tonnes
- Mineable Reserves: 9.12 million tonnes
- Coal Type: Non-coking coal, Grade B-C
- Mine Size: 1026 Ha
- Mine Type: Underground
- Start Year: 1984
- Source of Financing:
- Permits and Applications:EIA/EMP sumamry document for the public hearing for proposed expansion to 0.90 MTPA, SECL, 2008; ToR application for Balgi UG Expansion, MoEF&CC India, 20 March 2009
- Status: Proposed
- Size of Expansion: 0.60 MTPA
- Permits and Applications: ToR application for Balgi UG Expansion, MoEF&CC India, 20 March 2009
Articles and resources
- Balgi coal mine information, accessed on April 16, 2020
- EIA/EMP sumamry document for the public hearing for proposed expansion to 0.90 MTPA, SECL, 2008
- ToR application for Balgi UG Expansion, MoEF&CC India, 20 March 2009
- Minister of Mines in Rajya Sabha, 1 July, 2019