Balingasag power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of the The Philippines and coal|
Balingasag power station is a 165-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Misamis Oriental Province, Philippines.
The undated satellite photo below shows the plant in Mandangoa Barangay, Balingasag Municipality, Misamis Oriental Province. Satellite imagery from Planet shows construction progress from January 2016 to March 2018.
Background on Project
In September 2017 Minergy Coal Corporation, a subsidiary of Cayagan Electric Power & Light (CEPALCO), commissioned a three-unit coal-fired power plant with total capacity of 165 MW in Misamis Oriental Province. Total cost of the project was slated to be P14.5 billion, or $330 million. CEPALCO began pursuing the project in 2002. The project was initially for two 55-MW units, with the option to build a third; CEPALCO decided to move ahead with all three units in 2014.
An application for environmental permits was submitted in June 2013. In February 2014, CEPALCO signed a construction contract with Mitsubishi Corporation and Toshiba Plant Systems & Services Corporation. Construction is scheduled to be completed in March 2017.
The Vivant Corporation bought a 40% share in the project in May 2014. Construction was 98% complete as of the end of 2016. Vivant expects the plant to be complete and operational by late 2017.
Residents complained about environmental and health impacts of the plant after it went into operation in September 2017, including "asthma, LBM, dizziness, sore eyes and vertigo." Residents have also complained that warm water being emitted by the plant is killing marine life near the plant. According to Vice Governor Joey Pelaez, the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources in Northern Mindanao will attempt to determine the causes of fish kills in the area.
- Sponsor: Minergy Coal Corporation
- Parent company: Cayagan Electric Power & Light (CEPALCO), Vivant Corporation (40%)
- Location: Mandangoa Barangay, Balingasag Municipality, Misamis Oriental Province, Philippines
- Coordinates: 8.766, 124.767 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Gross capacity: 165 MW (Units 1-3: 55 MW)
- Type: Circulating fluidized bed
- Projected in service: 2017
- Coal type:
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- List Of Existing Power Plants, Department of Energy, 31 December 2017
- Cepalco plans to embed coal power from sister firm, Mindanao Gold Star Daily, 8 June 2013.
- Mitsubishi to Build Coal Fired Power Plant in the Philippines, Mitsubishi press release, 6 Feb. 2014.
- Euan Añonuevo. Vivant to invest in Misamis Oriental coal-fired power project. InterAksyon, 12 May 2014.
- Private Sector Initiated Power Projects (Mindanao) - Committed, Philippines Department of Energy, 30 Apr. 2017.
- Cebu power firm aims to maintain growth as it sharpens brand, SunStar, 15 Jun 2017.
- Coal plant pollution in Balingasag to be investigated, SunStar Cebu, Dec. 11, 2017