Balingian New power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Malaysia and coal|
Balingian New power station is a 600-megawatt MW coal-fired station in Mukah, Malaysia.
The map below shows the location of the plant in the city of Mukah. While google maps does not yet have current imagery of the area, satellite images from Planet show significant construction progress from March 2016 to April 2018.
Background on Plant
Balingian I (2 x 300 MW) is expected to consume 5.2 million tonnes of coal annually, and will be built near coalfields that will supply the power station.
In October 2014 Sarawak Energy entered into a contract with Chinese manufacturer Shanghai Electric Group for construction of the two 300 MW units. Construction was planned to begin the next month. The power station is expected to come online in 2018.
In August 2015 the State Government awarded three General Prospecting Licences (GPL) to Sarawak Energy, to explore for coal in the Balingian area to power the coal plant.
In August 2016 it was reported the plant was on-track for commissioning in 2018.
In October 2018 Sarawak Energy's CEO announced that the plant was on-track for commissioning in mid-2019.
According to Chinese media, unit 2 was connected to the grid in January 2019, and is on track for commissioning in 2019.
In May 2019 it was reported that Unit 1 will be commissioned in Q2 of 2019 and Unit 2 will be commissioned in Q3 of 2019.
Additionally, a 300 MW Balingian II has been proposed.
However, as of 2015 the project is not listed on Sarawak Energy's website, and plans appear to be abandoned.
- Sponsor: Sarawak Energy
- Location: Mukah, Balinglan District, Sarawak
- Coordinates: 2.7408969, 112.47292027 (exact)
- Balingian I, Units 1 & 2: Operating
- Balingian II, Unit 1: Cancelled
- Balingian I: 600 MW (Units 1 & 2: 300 MW)
- Balingian II: 300 MW (Unit 1)
- Type: Circulating fluidized bed (CFB)
- Start year:
- Balingian I, Units 1 & 2: 2019
- Coal Type: Lignite
- Coal Source: Buroi Mining Sdn Bhd and Sarawak Coal Resources Sdn Bhd
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "SEB in talks with local miners for supply of coal," The Star, Oct 28, 2013.
- "The 40-month contract will commence on Nov 28 for completion on March 27, 2018," The Star Online, Nov 10, 2014
- "Upcoming Projects," Sarawak Energy, accessed Feb 2015
- "Sarawak Energy granted three General Prospecting Licences (GPL) for coal exploration in Balingian," Sarawak, 10 August 2015
- "Green light for Sarawak," PressReader, 2016-08-28
- SEB to spend up to RM1 bill on turbine project, The Star, Oct. 16, 2018
- "巴林基安2×300MW亚临界燃煤电站2号机组并网成功," 北极星电力网新闻中心, 2019/1/29
- Sarawak to spend RM5.1b on water, electricity over two years, says state minister, Malay Mail, May 7, 2019
- "马来西亚巴林基安循环流化床燃煤机组项目1号机组投运," BJX, 14 May 2019
- "中国能建湖南火电承建马来西亚巴林基安项目2号机组商运," BJX, 5 July 2019
- "Another five coal-fired plants to power SCORE," AmResearch, Oct 18, 2012
- Yu Ji, "First coal-fired power plant in the country with CFB boiler," The Star Online October 11, 2014