Balkan Stream gas pipeline
Balkan Stream gas pipeline is an operating gas pipeline in Bulgaria.
The pipeline runs from Bulgaria’s southern border with Turkey to its western border with Serbia. The exact route is shown on page 74 of the Bulgartransgaz 2020 development plan.
- Operator: Bulgartransgaz EAD
- Proposed capacity: 20 bcm/y
- Proposed Length: 474 km / 295 miles
- Diameter: 47 inches
- Cost: €1.1 billion (US$1.22 billion)
- Financing: €630,467 grant from the EU's Connecting Europe Facility; loans to Bulgartransgaz totalling €200 million from nine banks, including Citibank Europe, ING, UniCredit and the Moscow-based International Bank for Economic Co-operation (other participating banks not disclosed)
- Status: Operating
- Start Year: 2020
The Balkan Stream project is sometimes referred to as the "Expansion of Bulgartransgaz EAD gas transmission infrastructure in the section from BG-TR to BG-RS" and "Balkan Gas Hub-Necessary expansion of the Bulgarian gas transmission system." It is an extension to the TurkStream Gas Pipeline, from Russia to Turkey. As part of the Balkan Gas Hub, a European 'Project of Common Interest', Bulgartransgaz was awarded a €630,467 public money grant for a feasibility study from the Connecting Europe Facility.
In September 2019, Global Business Club reported that construction had begun and 90% of pipes for the Balkan Stream have already been delivered to Bulgaria from Russia.
In December 2020 the pipeline was put into operation.
The European Network of Transmission System Operators for Gas (ENTSOG) refers to the project as "TRA-F-592". 
Articles and resources
- Bulgartransgaz EAD (March 2020). "2020 - 2029 TEN-YEAR NETWORK DEVELOPMENT PLAN OF BULGARTRANSGAZ EAD" (PDF). bulgartransgaz.bg. Retrieved September 25, 2020.
- European Network of Transmission System Operators for Gas (November 25, 2020). "TYNDP 2020 Annex A.2 – Project Tables". ENTSOG. Retrieved December 2, 2020.
- "Bulgaria hopes to complete Balkan Stream by year-end – Kallanish Energy News". Retrieved 2020-09-25.
- European Network of Transmission System Operators for Gas (2020). "TYNDP - Annex A - Projects Tables RPJ007_NS_2020 - entsog". ENTSOG. Retrieved September 16, 2020.
- Bulgartransgaz raises 200 mln euros for TurkStream gas pipeline, Reuters, Oct. 23, 2019
- Feasibility Study on the Balkan Gas Hub, European Commission, accessed Dec. 18, 2020
- Vladimir Afanasiev, Gas import projects hit the start button in southern Europe, Upstream, Jan. 7, 2021
- "Russia and Bulgaria begin construction of Balkan Stream gas pipeline". Globuc. Retrieved 2020-09-25.