Bandel Thermal Power Station
|Part of the |
Global Coal Plant Tracker,
a Global Energy Monitor project.
|Related coal trackers:|
Bandel Thermal Power Station is an operating power station of at least 270-megawatts (MW) in Bandapara, Chinsurah-Mogra, Hooghly, West Bengal, India with multiple units, some of which are not currently operating.
Table 1: Project-level location details
|Plant name||Location||Coordinates (WGS 84)|
|Bandel Thermal Power Station||Bandapara, Chinsurah-Mogra, Hooghly, West Bengal, India||22.995746, 88.403815 (exact)|
The map below shows the exact location of the power station.
Unit-level coordinates (WGS 84):
- Unit 3, Unit 2, Unit 1, Unit 4, Unit 5: 22.995746, 88.403815
Table 2: Unit-level details
|Unit name||Status||Fuel(s)||Capacity (MW)||Technology||Start year||Retired year|
|Unit 3||retired||coal - bituminous||60||subcritical||1966||2018|
|Unit 2||operating||coal - bituminous||60||subcritical||1965||–|
|Unit 1||retired||coal - bituminous||60||subcritical||1965||2022|
|Unit 4||retired||coal - bituminous||60||subcritical||1966||2018|
|Unit 5||operating||coal - bituminous||210||subcritical||1982||–|
Table 3: Unit-level ownership and operator details
|Unit 3||The West Bengal Power Development Corp Ltd (WBPDCL) [100.0%]|
|Unit 2||The West Bengal Power Development Corp Ltd (WBPDCL) [100.0%]|
|Unit 1||The West Bengal Power Development Corp Ltd (WBPDCL) [100.0%]|
|Unit 4||The West Bengal Power Development Corp Ltd (WBPDCL) [100.0%]|
|Unit 5||The West Bengal Power Development Corp Ltd (WBPDCL) [100.0%]|
Source of financing:
The power station had 5 units with a total installed capacity of 450 MW (4x60, 1x210 MW). The power plant is operated by the West Bengal Power Development Corporation (WBPDCL). The electricity generated is distributed by WBSEDCL to the residents of West Bengal (excepting Kolkata). All of the units are coal based thermal power stations. During the fiscal year 2006-07 the plant consumed a total of 1.68 million metric tons (1.85 million short tons) of coal. The coal required by the power station is supplied by Coal India Limited. 90% of the coal requirement is sourced from indigenous mines and the remaining 10% is imported. Coal is transported to the power plant by Indian Railways.
The average plant load factor of Bandel Thermal Power Station for the fiscal year 2011-12 was 47.11%. Its auxiliary power consumption for the fiscal year 2011-12 was between 11.51%, which is greater than the national average of 8.44%.
At the time of its commissioning in 1983, the plant's Unit-5 was the first of its kind in Eastern India and fifth in India.
Units 3 & 4 (60 MW each) were retired in 2018.
Unit 1 (60 MW) was retired by March 2022.
Articles and Resources
- "Review of Performance of Thermal Power Stations (2011-12)" October 1, 2012.
- "Bandel Thermal Power Station (BTPS)" The West Bengal Power Development Corporation Limited, accessed May 8, 2014.
- "Installed Capacity," India CEA, April 2018
- "Installed Capacity," India CEA, March 2022
To access additional data, including an interactive map of coal-fired power stations, a downloadable dataset, and summary data, please visit the Global Coal Plant Tracker on the Global Energy Monitor website.