Bander power station
Bander power station, also known as Thermal Powertech power station and Pynampuram (Painampuram) power station, is a 1,320-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Andhra Pradesh, India. Plans for an additional 660 MW unit appear to be shelved.
The undated satellite photo below shows the plant in Painampuram village.
Bander power station is a proposed coal-fired power station in Andhra Pradesh by Thermal Powertech Corporation. Phase I (2 units of 660 MW) and II (one unit of 660 MW) received an environmental permit in 2009.
As of October 2015 unit 3 (660 MW) was still planned for construction. However, as of January 2020 the unit has still not begun construction, and appears to be abandoned.
Imported coal will be transported by ship to Krishnapatnam Port. Indigenous coal will be brought by rail from Ib Valley/Talcher to Paradip/ Dhamra Port and then transported by sea to Krishnapatnam Port.
Sponsor: Thermal Powertech Corporation
Parent company: Sembcorp Utilities (67%), Gayatri Projects (33%)
Location: Painampuram village, Mutukur mandal, Nellore district, Andhra Pradesh
Coordinates: 14.351195, 80.143086 (exact)
Status: Operating (Units 1-2); Cancelled (Unit 3)
Capacity: 1,980 MW (Units 1-3: 660 MW)
In service: 2015 (Units 1-2)
Coal Source: Krishnapatnam Port
Estimated annual CO2: 798,350 tons
Source of financing:
Permits and applications: Environmental clearance for Phases I and II: 3 x 660 MW, India MoEF, Nov 4, 2009
Articles and resources
- "Sembcorp launches 2,640MW power project in Nellore," Hindu Business Line, Feb 27, 2016
- "Sembcorp Utilities in India," Sembcorp, accessed March 2016
- Environmental clearance, India MoEF, Nov 4, 2009.
- "Sembcorp's first coal-fired plant in India starts operations," The Edge Markets, Sep 14, 2015
- ""Monthly Report," CEA, April 2015
- "Note on amendment to EC," Thermal Powertech, October 2015
- "Project Details," Thermal Power Corporation website, accessed January 2012
- For estimation method, see Estimating carbon dioxide emissions for proposed coal plants in India
Related SourceWatch articles