Muthukur Mandal power station (Painampuram)

From Global Energy Monitor

Muthukur Mandal power station (Painampuram), also known as the SGPL Power Project, is a 1,320-megawatt (MW) coal plant in Andhra Pradesh, India.

Muthukur Mandal and the Bander power station are together known as the Sembcorp Gayatri Power Complex.[1][2]

Location

The undated satellite photo below shows the plants in Painampuram village.

Loading map...

Background

Muthukur Mandal power station is a 1320 megawatt (MW) coal plant proposed by Nelcast Energy Corporation Ltd. It was granted environmental clearance in September 2010.[3]

In January 2011, infrastructure company Nagarjuna Construction Co. (NCC) acquired 55% equity in Nelcast Energy Corporation. NCC was trying to set up the Nagarjuna Construction Company Sompeta Thermal Plant, but said it had given up plans for the Sompeta plant and would transfer approvals for it to the plant being built by Nelcast Energy.[4]

Compliance conditions of the EC were approved in 2013.[5] Construction began in 2014.[6] The power station is expected to begin operating by June 2016.[7][8]

The units were synchronized in 2016. Unit 1 is planned for commercial operation in November 2016, and unit 2 in March 2017.[9]

Unit 1 was commissioned in December 2016 and unit 2 in February 2017.[10]

Ownership

In February 2014, SembCorp Industries purchased a 45% stake in the Muthukur Mandal Power Station.[11] SembCorp later increased its ownership share to 49%. The remaining 51% is held by NCC Infrastructure, which is jointly owned by Hyderabad-based NCC Limited and Gayatri Projects.[12] Sembcorp also owns a controlling stake in the nearby Bander power station.

Project Details

Sponsor: Sembcorp Gayatri Power (formerly NCC Power Projects Limited)
Parent company: 51% NCC Infrastructure (jointly owned by NCC Limited and Gayatri Projects); 49% SembCorp Industries
Location: Painampuram and Sivarampuram villages, Muthukur mandal, Nellore district, Andhra Pradesh
Coordinates: 14.351195, 80.143086 (exact)
Status: Operating
Nameplate capacity: 2 x 660 MW
Type: Supercritical
Projected in service: 2016 (Unit 1), 2017 (Unit 2)
Coal: Indonesian coal through Krishnapatnam Port
Estimated annual CO2:
Source of financing:
Emissions controls: Electrostatic precipitator followed by bag filter[3]
Permits: Environmental Clearance, India MoEF, September 30, 2010[3]

Articles and resources

References

  1. "Sembcorp launches 2,640MW power project in Nellore," Hindu Business Line, Feb 27, 2016
  2. "Sembcorp Utilities in India," Sembcorp, accessed March 2016
  3. 3.0 3.1 3.2 "Coal Based Thermal Plant by Nelcast Energy Corporation Ltd," Thermal MoEF News, July 13, 2011
  4. "Nagarjuna junks Sompeta plan, buys Nelcast stake," Daily News and Analysis, Jan 19, 2011
  5. "Projects," NCC Power Projects Limited, accessed August 2014.
  6. "Tower Power," Construction World, Sep 2014
  7. "Note on project delay," India MoEF, March 4, 2016
  8. "Sembcorp launches 2,640MW power project in Nellore," Hindu Business Line, Feb 27, 2016
  9. "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country," Government of India Ministry of Power, October 2016
  10. "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country," Government of India Ministry of Power, March 2017
  11. Acquisition of stake in the 1320MW NCC Power Projects, IJGlobal, Apr. 28, 2015
  12. [https://www.business-standard.com/article/companies/sembcorp-launches-2-640-mw-thermal-power-complex-in-andhra-116022700508_1.html Sembcorp launches 2,640 MW thermal power complex in Andhra], Business Standard, Feb. 27, 2016

Related GEM.wiki articles


External resources

External articles

Loading map...