Banyuasin power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Indonesia and coal|
Banyuasin power station is a proposed 240-megawatt (MW) coal-fired station in Gunung Megang and Talang Ubi subdistricts, Muara Enim district, South Sumatra Province, Indonesia
The map below shows the area between Gunung Megang and Talang Ubi subdistricts, Muara Enim district, South Sumatra Province, where the project would be located.
Background on Plant
Banyuasin power station was originally proposed as a two-unit, 270-MW coal-fired power plant by Truba Manunggal in South Sumatra Province. According to a 2010 report, Truba Alam Manunggal Engineering announced financing of US$175 million for the project. Further details were not available. However, this project does not appear in a 2014 listing of proposed new coal plants in Sumatra.
In the 2015-2024 PLN long-range supply plan, Banyuasin power station in proposed for 2024. In the 2016-2025 and 2017-2026 PLN long-range supply plans, the size of the project is changed to 240 MW and it is moved up to 2020. In the 2018-2027 long-range plan the project is listed as 240 MW with a completion date of 2021. In the 2019-2028 long-range plan the project is listed as 2 x 120 MW with a completion date of 2021.
In November 2019 a reported by the Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis (IEEFA) noted that while the RUPTL for 2019-2028 lists the project as being under construction "IEEFA has found no other indications of its existence."
- Sponsor: PT Truba Alam Manunggal Engineering
- Location: Gunung Megang and Talang Ubi subdistricts, Muara Enim district, South Sumatra Province, Indonesia
- Coordinates: -3.347874, 103.900474 (approximate)
- Status: Announced
- Gross Capacity: 2 x 120 MW
- Type: Subcritical
- Projected In Service: 2021
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Thermal Power Market Outlook in Indonesia to 2020 - Capacity, Generation, Regulations, Major Power Plants, Key Companies,” GlobalData, September 30, 2010 (detailed table of contents available on line; full report is by subscription only)
- “PLN Long Term Electricity Plan (2013-2023),” presentation by Moch. Sofyan, Head of New & Renewable Division of PT PLN (Persero), 06 March 2014, p. 13
- "Executive Summary: Electricity Supply Business Plan PT PLN (Persero) 2015-2024"
- “Rencana Usaha Penyediaan Tenaga Listrik, PT PLN (Persero), 2016-2025,” Kementerian Energi Dan Sumber Daya Mineral, June 2016
- Rencana Usaha Penyediaan Tenaga Listrik (RUPTL) 2017-2026, PT PLN Persero
- Rencana Usaha Penyediaan Tenaga Listrik (RUPTL) 2018-2027, PT PLN Persero, V-39
- Rencana Usaha Penyediaan Tenaga Listrik (RUPTL) 2019-2028, PT PLN Persero, V-38
- The Case For System Transformation in Indonesia, IEEFA, November 2019