Baotou Aluminum power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of China and coal|
Baotou Aluminum power station (中铝包头铝业自备热电厂) is a 1,710-megawatt (MW) captive coal-fired power plant in Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, China.
The undated satellite photo below shows the plant at Lvye Road in Donghe District, Baotou prefecture.
Background on Project
Baotou Aluminum is a 2 x 330 MW captive coal plant in Donghe. Construction began in 2012. After a temporary suspension for unauthorized construction in 2013, the plant was put into operation in June 2014.
The three units were completed in June 2017.
Expansion suspended, then revived
July 2017: Expansion postponed by government
In July 2017, the NEA released the "Guideline of Supply-Side Reform of the Coal Power Bubble". The Guideline included a draft list which slowed down or halted 185 coal-burning units across 21 provinces, totaling 107 GW. 114 coal units (65 GW) are ordered to slow down the construction progress during 2017 to 2020, and are not allowed to connect to the grid in 2017. In addition, 71 coal units (42 GW) were halted indefinitely for regulation violations. The list partly overlapped with the projects listed in the January NEA letter to 13 provinces.
Baotou Aluminum power station Units 3 & 5 are among the postponed coal-burning units, and unit 4 was halted. It is unclear if the units will need to suspend operations, since they have already been completed.
For more information, see China's 2016/2017 Restrictions on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity.
September 2017: Suspension lifted on units 3 & 5
After political negotiations, China's National Energy Administration (NEA) released an updated list of postponed and halted coal projects on September 26, 2017. The new list contained 151 units totaling 95 gigawatts (GW). Baotou Aluminum power station Units 3 & 5 were no longer on the list, only unit 4. It therefore appears only unit 4's operation is affected.
However, since 2019 all units have been operating, including unit 4.
- Sponsor: Baotou Aluminum
- Parent company: CHALCO
- Location: Baotou Aluminum Donghe plant, Lvye Road, Donghe District, Baotou Prefecture, Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, China
- Coordinates: 40.557202, 110.148382 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Gross capacity: 1,710 MW (Units 1-2: 330 MW, Units 3-5: 350 MW)
- Type: Subcritical (Units 1-2), Supercritical (Units 3-5)
- In service: 2014 (Units 1-2), 2017 (Units 3-5)
- Coal type:
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "包头铝业华云电厂项目人员招聘公告," CHALCO, Mar 24, 2016
- "环保部叫停包头铝业热电联产项目", 钢联资讯, 2013-07-29
- "2014包头市重点建设项目：铝相关竣工开工一览", 内蒙古矿业网, 2014-06-28
- "华北院公司监理的华云新材料自备热电联产机组工程正式开工" China Engineering Consulting Group Co, Ltd, April 6 2016
- "內蒙古華雲新材料50萬噸合金鋁產品結構調整升級技術改造項目穩步進行," Caijing, April 14, 2017
- "华云热电联产机组投产启动 华云三大工程全部建成投产," CNAL, 2017-06-30
- "16部委联合发文防范化解煤电产能过剩风险," Sohu.com, 2017-08-03
- "2017年分省煤电停建和缓建项目名单," Sohu, 2017-10-12
- "勇攀高峰立标杆铝资讯-有色金属新闻-中国有色网-中国有色金属报主办". www.cnmn.com.cn. 2019-11-05. Retrieved 2020-12-14.