Bara Thermal Power Project
Bara Thermal Power Project (also known as Prayagraj TPP) is a 1,980-megawatt (MW) power station under development in Uttar Pradesh, India.
The project is being built at Bara tehsil in the Allahabad district of Uttar Pradesh, India. The aerial photograph below shows the site.
The project is being built by Prayagraj Power Generation, a power generation subsidiary of the privately owned Jaypee Group, a major Indian infrastructure company with interests in Civil Engineering and Construction, Cement, Power, Real Estate, Expressways, Hospitality, Golf Courses and Education. According to Jaypee Group (2011), the project will be built in two Phases. Phase 1, comprising three 660 MW units, is slated to be commissioned in 2015. JPV bought the Prayagraj Power Generation Company, a special purpose project company created by the Uttar Pradesh Power Corporation to build the Bara project on a 'build, own, operate' basis.
According to the 2010/2011 annual report, the company was in possession of the 778 hectares needed for the project and had received the necessary environmental clearance, water linkage, and coal linkage. Boiler foundations were completed and other construction works was underway. Financial closure had been achieved.
According to the JP Power Ventures website (2014), Phase I is planned for completion by 2014. Unit 1 was reported to be on the verge of synchronization in October 2015. However, as of 2015, Phase I was under construction, with Unit 1 planned for October 2015 and units 2-3 in 2016, according to the India Central Electrical Authority.
Unit 1 was commissioned in December 2015, and units 2-3 are planned for late 2016.
Unit 2 was commissioned in October 2016.
Unit 3 was commissioned in May 2017.
Financing for Phase I
In September 2010, a financing agreement for phase I was closed. US$1,759.36 million in loans was provided by IDBI Bank, Indian Bank, Indian Overseas Bank, United Bank of India, Larsen & Toubro, Life Insurance Corporation of India, Oriental Bank of Commerce, Punjab National Bank, Uco Bank, Corporation Bank, Canara Bank, Andhra Bank, Bank of Baroda, State Bank of India, and Bank of India. SBI Capital Markets acted as financial adviser to the sponsors.
In February 2014, a refinancing agreement for phase I was closed. US$115 million in loans was provided by SBI Capital Markets and India Infrastructure Finance Company. SBI Capital Markets again acted as financial adviser to the sponsors.
Phase II would comprise two 660 MW units. As of May 2016, phase II has yet to receive environmental permits, and appears to be deferred or abandoned.
Both the Bara project and the nearby Karchana Thermal Power Project (now cancelled) have been the subject of local opposition and agitation. The Environmental Justice Atlas reported that protests at the Bara project in January 2011 damaged "police vehicles to protest against land acquisition policies." Additionally, protesters claimed one farmer was killed in police firing, a charge denied by the Uttar Pradesh government.
It was reported in February 2011 that villagers ransacked and damaged property at the project site. The protesters had reportedly inflicted damage worth Rs 1 crore.
Sponsor: Prayagraj Power Generation Co. Ltd. (PPGCL)
Parent: Jaypee Group
Location: Bara village, Bara tehsil, Allahabad district, Uttar Pradesh
Coordinates: 25.196345, 81.6585338 (exact)
- Phase I - Units 1-3: Operating
- Phase II - Cancelled
- Phase I - 1980 MW (3 x 660 MW)
- Phase II - 1320 MW (2 x 660 MW)
In service: 2015 (Unit 1), 2016 (Unit 2), Unit 3 (2017)
Estimated annual CO2:
Source of financing: phase I: US$1,759.36 million in debt from IDBI Bank, Indian Bank, Indian Overseas Bank, United Bank of India, Larsen & Toubro, Life Insurance Corporation of India, Oriental Bank of Commerce, Punjab National Bank, Uco Bank, Corporation Bank, Canara Bank, Andhra Bank, Bank of Baroda, State Bank of India, and Bank of India; US$115 million in debt from SBI Capital Markets and India Infrastructure Finance Company. SBI Capital Markets again acted as financial adviser to the sponsors
Permits and applications: Environmental Clearance for Phase I, India MoEF, September 8, 2009
Articles and Resources
- "Thermal Power", Jaiprakash Power Ventures website, accessed November 2011.
- Annual Report 2010-2011, Prayagraj Power Generation Company Limited
- Jaiprakash Power Ventures, "Thermal Power", Jaiprakash Power Ventures website, accessed November 2011.
- Jaiprakash Power Ventures, "Home", Jaiprakash Power Ventures website, accessed November 2011.
- "Bara Thermal Power Plant Project Profile," JP Power Ventures website, accessed August 2014
- "660 MW Unit to Bring Reprieve from Power Crisis," Times of India, October 26, 2015
- Broad Status Report, India Central Electrical Authority, April 2015
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country," Government of India Ministry of Power, March 2016
- "BHEL commissions another 660 MW thermal unit in UP," Times of India, Oct 10, 2016
- "BHEL commissions third unit of 1,980 MW Prayagraj plant in UP," Hind BusinessLine, May 23, 2017
- "Preview of Bara Prayagraj Power Plant (1980MW) | Transaction | IJGlobal". ijglobal.com. Retrieved 2020-10-13.
- "Preview of Bara Prayagraj Power Plant Refinancing 2014 (1980MW) | Transaction | IJGlobal". ijglobal.com. Retrieved 2020-10-13.
- "Bara thermal power plant, Allahabad, India" Environmental Justice Atlas, accessed April 4, 2014.
- "JP Power faces severe protest" ProjectsInfo, February 14, 2011.