|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Celba FSRU is an LNG terminal under construction in Barcarena, Pará state, Brazil.
The terminal is located at the port of Vila do Conde, about 15 km west of Barcarena, Pará state, Brazil.
- Sponsor: Celba (Centrais Elétricas Barcarena)
- Owner: New Fortress Energy
- Location: Porto de Vila do Conde, Barcarena, Pará, Brazil
- Coordinates: -1.539174, -48.754139 (approximate)
- Capacity: 15 million cubic meters per day
- Status: Construction
- Type: Import
- Start Year: 2023
Note: mtpa = million tonnes per year; bcfd = billion cubic feet per day
The Celba LNG Terminal is part of a gas-to-power project being developed by Celba (Centrais Elétricas Barcarena). Celba has been owned 100% by New Fortress Energy since 2021, following a series of mergers and acquisitions.
The proposed Celba LNG project consists of a 15 MMcmd FSRU (floating storage and regasification unit) in the Pará River, moored in a ship-to-ship configuration to a fixed terminal near the port of Vila do Conde. Natural gas from the terminal would be transported via pipeline to clients in Barcarena's industrial zone, including the previously coal-fired Barcarena Alunorte power station at the Hydro Alunorte aluminum company and Celba's proposed 605 MW Novo Tempo Barcarena power station; the latter project was approved in Brazil's October 2019 energy auction and given priority status by Pará's state government in November 2019.
In August 2020, the Brazilian government issued an installation license authorizing Celba to build the terminal and power plant in a part of Vila do Conde port known as "Area 3." In October 2020, Hygo Energy Transition signed a letter of agreement to sell gas from the terminal to Companhia de Gás do Pará, which holds exclusive rights to distribute natural gas throughout Pará state.
Brazilian hydrocarbons regulator ANP (Agência Nacional do Petróleo, Gás Natural e Biocombustíveis) granted final approval for construction of the terminal in December 2020. The Celba terminal was expected to become the first LNG import facility in the state of Pará and the North region of Brazil upon startup of commercial operations in 2022.
In August 2022, New Fortress Energy (NFE) announced that start-up of the terminal had been delayed to 2023, raising concerns that spiking European demand provoked by the Russia-Ukraine war might be restricting LNG supply to NFE's Brazilian operations.
Articles and resources
- "Golar Power awarded PPA for 605MW LNG-to-Power Project in Barcarena, Brazil". GlobeNewswire News Room. October 21, 2019.
- "Terminais de Regaseificação de GNL no Brasil: Panorama dos Principais Projetos (pp 34-35)" (PDF). EPE (Empresa de Pesquisa Energética). August 30, 2019.
- "Terminais de GNL no Brasil (pp 12-13)" (PDF). EPE (Empresa de Pesquisa Energética). October 2020.
- "New Fortress Energy Form 8-K (p 48)". US Securities & Exchange Commission. March 18, 2021.
- "PITER 2021 - Plano Indicativo de Terminais de GNL (p 33)" (PDF). EPE (Empresa de Pesquisa Energética). July 2021.
- "New Fortress confirma operação de terminais de GNL de Santa Catarina e Pará em 2023". Agência epbr. 2022-08-04.
- "Investor Update (p 28)". New Fortress Energy. January 21, 2021.
- "New Fortress bursts into Brazil LNG with Golar buy". Argus Media. January 13, 2021.
- "New Fortress Energy acquires Hygo Energy and GMLP". Hydrocarbons Technology. April 16, 2021.
- "Golar Power awarded PPA for 605MW LNG-to-Power Project in Barcarena, Brazil". GlobeNewswire. October 21, 2019. Archived from the original on May 3, 2021. Retrieved May 4, 2021.
- "Celba, da Golar Power, tem aval para construir terminal de GNL no Pará". Reuters. December 29, 2020. Archived from the original on May 3, 2021. Retrieved May 4, 2021.
- "Hygo tem aval do Cade para comprar fatia de sócios em projetos térmicos no Brasil". Yahoo Finanças. March 9, 2021.
- "UTE Novo Tempo Barcarena é considerada prioritária pelo governo do PA". CanalEnergia. November 28, 2019.
- "Consórcio liderado pela Celba vence leilão de área no Porto de Vila do Conde (PA)". Correio Braziliense: Economia. August 28, 2020.
- "Hygo inks Barcarena LNG terminal deal in Brazil - Offshore Energy". Offshore Energy. October 15, 2020.
- "Celba, da Golar Power, tem aval para construir terminal de GNL no Pará". Reuters. December 29, 2020.
- "NFE planeja operação de terminais de GNL no Pará, Pernambuco e Santa Catarina para o 1º semestre de 20". EPBR. May 7, 2021.
- McKay, John (December 14, 2021). "New Fortress Energy signs 15-year gas supply agreement linked to LNG import and power project in Brazil". LNG Journal.