Baruun Naran coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
|Please visit Global Energy Monitor to download the dataset|
Baruun Naran coal mine (Баруун Наран нүүрсний уурхай) is a surface coal mine in South Gobi, Mongolia.
The undated satellite photo below shows the mine site in South Gobi, approximately 30 km from the Ukhaa Khudag mine.
The Baruun Naran coal project was referred to in a 2009 World Bank report as having a potential life span of 20 years producing 6 million tonnes a year. The report stated that the mine could begin production in 2012.
QGX Holdings of Kerry Mining acquired the Baruun Naran deposit in 2008 for US$ 260 million. In 2011, Energy Resources LLC bought the coal mine for US$464.5 million. At the time of sale, the feasibility study had not yet been finalized. The mine was later valued at only US$190 million.
In 2011, the Reserve Report for the Baruun Naran Coal Project estimated it could have a capacity of 10 mtpa: six met and four thermal.
According to the Khangad Exploration website, the BN mining license covers a total area of approximately 4,482 hectares in size and contains around 330 million metric tons of coal resources and 174 Mt of coal reserves. Commercial coal mining operations started in February 2012.
In November 2013, the Mongolian Ministry of Mining reported the mine produced 0.8 million metric tons of coal in 2012 and was expected to reach 7 mtpa.
- Operator: Khangad Exploration LLC
- Owner: Mongolian Mining Corporation (MMC)
- Location: South Gobi (Ömnögovi) Province, Mongolia
- GPS Coordinates: 43.597948, 105.222627 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Production: 0.5 mtpa (2021)
- Total Resource: 410 million tonnes
- Total Reserves: 280 million tonnes
- Coal Type: Metallurgical
- Mine Size: 44.8 km2
- Mine Type: Surface
- Start year: 2012
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- World Bank, "Southern Mongolia Infrastructure Strategy", International Bank for Reconstruction and Development / The World Bank, August 2009, page ii. (The report was funded by Public-Private Infrastructure Advisory Facility (PPIAF) and the Australian Government’s AusAID – East Asia and Pacific Infrastructure for Growth Trust Fund.) (Pdf)
- ""Энержи Ресурс" Баруун Нарангийн нүүрсний ордыг худалдаж авлаа". GoGo.mn (in монгол). 2011-06-02. Retrieved 2020-10-07.
- ""Энержи Ресурс" яагаад дампуурч байгаа вэ". Ord.mn | Mongolian Mining. 2015-07-07. Retrieved 2020-10-07.
- "Mongolian Mining Corporation (00975)". Hkexness.hk. Retrieved 2016-03-31.
- "Baruun Naran mine". Энержи Ресурс ХХК (in монгол). Retrieved 2020-10-07.
- [https://www1.hkexnews.hk/listedco/listconews/sehk/2012/0314/00975_1279926/e118.pdf "JORC Reserve Report: Baruun Naran Coal Project, Mongolia,"] SRK Consulting, March 2011
- Master Plan Study for Coal Development, Mongolian Ministry of Mining, November 2013
- Annual Report 2021, Mongolian Mining Corporation website, April 2022.