Basundhara power station
Basundhara power station is a proposed 1,600-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Odisha, India.
The map below shows the district of Sundargarh, but not the exact location of the project:
In July 2011 MCL sought expressions of interest in the establishment of a 1600 megawatt (MW) coal-fired pit-head power station "in the vicinity of the Basundhara - Garjanbahal coal mines" in Sundergarh District, Odisha. MCL states that it has "a long term production plan in Basundhara - Garjanbahal mines in Sundergarh District(Odisha) to produce about 13 MT non-coking coal in the terminal year of 11th Plan and about 34 MT in terminal year of 12th Plan. The Power requirement of MCL will be around 150 MW by the end of 13th plan."
MCL states that it is seeking a "Joint Venture (JV) partner to be selected through Tariff based International Competitive Bidding. A Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) is being incorporated by MCL for the above purpose. MCL would have at least 26% equity stake in the JV. Coal for the Power Plant would be provided by MCL." MCL lists Power Finance Corporation as a consultant on the project. MCL also states that the project would comprise two 800MW super-critical generating units.
In January 2016 it was reported that coal linkage for the 1,600 MW super critical project has been delayed, and that the company was still seeking environmental clearance. MCL had said 800 acres had been acquired for the project and water linkages are in place. The plant has been proposed to be located at the mouth of a coal field in the Mahanadi basin, and may use coal from that mine.
In May 2018 it was reported the project had been able to get land and coal linkages. NTPC will come onboard as a partner, and use its existing power purchase agreements for the project.
As of June 2020 the project has not received any permits, and plans may be shelved.
Sponsor: Mahanadi Coalfields Limited
Parent company: Coal India, NTPC
Location: Basundhara village, Sundargarh district, Odisha
Coordinates: 22.116667, 84.033333 (approximate)
Nameplate capacity: 1600 MW (Units 1&2: 800 MW)
Projected in service:
Coal Source: MCL's Basundhara coal mines and Garjanbahal coal mine
Estimated annual CO2:
Source of financing:
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- "MCL to set up 1600 MW power plant" Industry Monitor, accessed February 16, 2012.
- Mahanadi Coalfields Limited, "Formation of MCL", Mahanadi Coalfields Limited website, accessed January 2012.
- Mahanadi Coalfields Limited, "For Selection of a Joint Venture Partner for setting up a 2x800 MW Coal based Super Critical Thermal Power Plant for MCL in Sundergarh District, Odisha: Global Invitation for Expression of Interest (EOI), Mahanadi Coalfields Limited, July 2011.
- "Coal linkage delayed for MCL's Rs 11,000 crore power plant," The Economic Times, Jan 17, 2016
- "Coal India’s first thermal power plant to come up in Odisha," Business Line, May 28, 2018