Batangas Clean Energy LNG Terminal
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Batangas Clean Energy LNG Terminal is a proposed LNG terminal in Batangas, Philippines.
- Owner: Batangas Clean Energy Inc.
- Location: Batangas, Philippines
- Coordinates: 13.753910, 121.040647 (estimate)
- Type: Import
- Capacity: 3.0 mtpa
- Status: Proposed
- Start Year: 2025
Note: mtpa = million tonnes per year; bcfd = billion cubic feet per day
Batangas Clean Energy Inc., a company led by US investors and airline and tobacco tycoon Lucio Tan, is moving forward with a P82.5-billion investment in a liquefied natural gas terminal and 1,200-megawatt combined cycle gas turbine plant project in Batangas province. The project was certified in the end of 2020 by the Philippines Department of Energy as an energy project of national significance. It would act as a replacement source of natural gas in preparation for the depletion of the Malampaya gas field and in the face of growing domestic energy demand.
The project will be located at the Himmel industrial complex and will include an LNG unloading/reloading jetty, LNG storage tank, regasification facilities, and the power plant. The project is expected to achieve financial close and start construction in July 2021. The construction period is expected to last 48 months and will include site preparation, plant construction and commissioning. The project is expected to begin commercial operations by July 2025 and will be operational for 50 years or longer. Once operational, the project will have an import capacity of 3.0 million tonnes per year (mtpa).
Articles and resources
- Alena Mae S. Flores, Lucio Tan, foreign partners pursue P82.5-b LNG project, Manila Standard, November 30, 2020
- Kathleen Anne Cruz, Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) Summary for the Public (ESP) in English - Batangas Clean Energy (BCE) LNG Terminal and CCGT Power Project, Government of Philippines Department of Energy and Natural Resources, accessed April 19, 2021