Bay of Bengal-Chittagong Oil Pipeline 2
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Bay of Bengal-Chittagong Oil Pipeline 2 is a proposed crude oil pipeline.
- Operator: Bangladesh Petroleum Corporation
- Parent Company: Bangladesh Petroleum Corporation
- Current capacity:
- Proposed capacity: 90,000 barrels per day
- Length: 137 mi / 220 km
- Status: Construction
- Start Year: 2022
In December 2016 the government of Bangladesh reached agreement with state-owned China Petroleum Pipeline Bureau (CPP) for engineering, procurement, construction and commissioning for installation of single point mooring for two parallel 220-km pipelines. Running parallel to the Bay of Bengal-Chittagong Oil Pipeline 2 is the Bay of Bengal-Chittagong Oil Pipeline. Oil from the pipeline be refined at the Eastern Refinery Ltd (ইস্টার্ণ রিফাইনারী লিমিটেড) in the Chittagong district, and ultimately piped to China.
The project was launched because Bangladesh is incapable of handling large vessels carrying imported crude and finished oil, due to low navigability of a key river channel and constrained facilities at the main seaport in Chittagong. (At present, large tankers anchor at deep sea and smaller ships unload them, however this process takes time and causes systematic losses for the government.)
Although the project start was delayed, in June 2019, the first horizontal directional drilling crossing of the Single Point Mooring and Parallel-pipeline Project in Bangladesh (SPM project) was successfully pulled back, and the first directional drilling of the SPM project was completed.
In January of 2020 CPP announced that that the SPM subsea installation began on December 23, 2019. The pipeline diameters are 18 and 36 inches. In July 2020 the Executive Committee of the National Economic Council (ECNEC) gave a new estimated completion date of June 2022 for the pipeline.
Articles and resources
- China, Bangladesh sign framework agreement on oil pipeline project, China Daily, Oct. 30, 2017
- XinHua (8 December 2016). "Roundup: China company to build 220-km oil pipeline in Bangladesh". Asia Pacific Daily. Retrieved 24 February 2020.
- Star Online Report (8 December 2020). "Dhaka inks deal with Chinese firm for oil pipeline". The Daily Star. Retrieved 24 February 2020.
- China, Bangladesh sign framework agreement on oil pipeline project, Xinhua Net, Oct. 30, 2017
- "$550.4m Single Point Mooring project hits snag". Energy Bangla. 4 October 2018. Retrieved 24 February 2020.
- China Petroleum Pipeline Engineering Co. Ltd (4 June 2020). "The First HDD Crossing of Village Mattbari in the Bangladesh SPM Project Completed". CPP. Retrieved 24 February 2020.
- China Petroleum Pipeline Engineering Company Co., LTD. "Offshore Pipeline Installation Begins in Bangladesh SPM Project". CPP.CNPC.COm. Retrieved 25 February 2020.
- ‘সিঙ্গেল পয়েন্ট মুরিং’ প্রকল্পের মেয়াদ আড়াই বছর বাড়ল, BD News24, Jul. 6, 2020