Bazhanova coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Bazhanov coal mine (Шахта імені В. М. Бажанова) is located in Makiivka, Donetsk Oblast, Ukraine.
The satellite photo below shows the exact location of the mine.
The Bazhanov mine holds one of the largest coal reserve in Ukraine with estimated reserves of 58.7 million tonnes of coal. The annual coal production is around 1.02 million tonnes.
July 2011 mining accident
On 29 July 2011, an elevator collapse killed 11 miners and seriously injured four others. Hundreds of workers were evacuated from other areas of the mine. The president of Ukraine ordered a government investigation. Ukraine's prime minister attributed the accident to "negligence" and estimated that it would take 16 months to repair damage to the mine. Earlier that same day, Ukraine had experienced another fatal coal-mining accident due to an explosion in the Suhodolskaya-Vostochnaya coal mine.
- Parent Company: State-Owned
- Location: Donetsk Oblast, Ukraine
- GPS Coordinates: 48.344165, 39.658057
- Status: Operating
- Production Capacity: 1.02 mtpa
- Workforce Size:
- Mineable Reserves: 58.7 million tonnes
- Coal type: Bituminous
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: Underground
- Start Year:
- Source of Financing:
- "Coal mine methane in Ukraine" (PDF). epa.gov. January 2001. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-04-08. Retrieved 2010-12-29.
- "TWO MINING TRAGEDIES IN UKRAINE LEAVE 18 DEAD & 20 MISSING". AGI News. 27 July 2011. Archived from the original on 18 February 2013. Retrieved 27 July 2011.
- "Elevator collapse kills one, injuries 8 in east Ukrainian mine". Xinhua. 27 July 2011. Retrieved 27 July 2011.
- 34 killed, 6 injured in mining accidents, Ukrainian Journal, 31 July 2011
- Maria Danilova (27 July 2011). "18 killed in 2 mine accidents in Ukraine". Google News. Associated Press. Retrieved 27 July 2011.
- President instructs investigation of Bazhanova coal mine accident Template:Webarchive, Press office of President Viktor Yanukovych, 30 July 2011
- New Ukraine coal mine explosion as safety review launched, Platts.com, August 4, 2011
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named