Beitun Cogen power station
|Part of the |
Global Coal Plant Tracker,
a Global Energy Monitor project.
|Related coal trackers:|
Beitun Cogen power station is an operating power station of at least 270-megawatts (MW) in Beitun, Altay/Ili, Xinjiang, China with multiple units, some of which are not currently operating. It is also known as 国电新疆农十师北屯热电厂热电联产项目 (Phase II Unit 3, Phase II Unit 4).
Table 1: Project-level location details
|Plant name||Location||Coordinates (WGS 84)|
|Beitun Cogen power station||Beitun, Altay/Ili, Xinjiang, China||47.28983, 87.7296623 (exact)|
The map below shows the exact location of the power station.
Unit-level coordinates (WGS 84):
- Phase II Unit 4, Phase I Unit 1, Phase II Unit 3, Phase I Unit 2: 47.28983, 87.7296623
Table 2: Unit-level details
|Unit name||Status||Fuel(s)||Capacity (MW)||Technology||Start year||Retired year|
|Phase II Unit 4||cancelled||coal - unknown||350||subcritical||–||–|
|Phase I Unit 1||operating||coal - unknown||135||subcritical||2016||–|
|Phase II Unit 3||cancelled||coal - unknown||350||subcritical||–||–|
|Phase I Unit 2||operating||coal - unknown||135||subcritical||2016||–|
Table 3: Unit-level ownership and operator details
|Phase II Unit 4||Xinjiang Tunfu Thermal Power Co Ltd [100.0%]|
|Phase I Unit 1||Xinjiang Tunfu Thermal Power Co Ltd [100.0%]|
|Phase II Unit 3||Xinjiang Tunfu Thermal Power Co Ltd [100.0%]|
|Phase I Unit 2||Xinjiang Tunfu Thermal Power Co Ltd [100.0%]|
Project-level coal details
- Permit(s): January 2014
The units were commissioned in 2016.
Description of Expansion
According to a 2012 World Resources Institute working paper, Guodian was planning to build two additional coal-fired units at this plant, with a total planned capacity of 700 MW.
However, there has been no developments on the proposal, and it appears to be abandoned.
On August 28 2017, China's State-owned Assets Supervision and Administration Commission of the State Council (SASAC) announced that China Guodian Corporation and Shenhua Group will be jointly restructured. Shenhua Group will become China National Energy Investment Group and will absorb China Guodian Corporation. It will be the largest power company in the world by installed capacity, as well as the world's largest coal producer. The merger was completed on November 28, 2017.
Articles and Resources
- "湖南火电签订北屯热电2×135MWPC总承包合同", 中国火力发电网, 2013-12-30
- "北屯市2×135兆瓦热电联产项目冷却塔顺利封顶", 新疆兵团网, 2014-08-13
- "北屯热电联产项目获批接入新疆电网", 中国国电集团公司北屯公司, 2012-04-24
- "北屯热电联产项目接入系统历经坎坷终结果", 国电北屯发电有限公司, 2012-05-01
- "新疆北屯热电1号机组风压试验完成," 2015-09-02
- "新疆北屯2×135MW热电联产工程2号机组除氧器吊装就位," 2015-04-13
- "新疆北屯热电2号机组并网发电," 2016-07-18
- Ailun Yang and Yiyun Cui, "Global Coal Risk Assessment: Data Analysis and Market Research," World Resources Institute working paper, November 2012
- "Factbox: Shenhua and Guodian - China's latest state marriage". Reuters. 29 August 2017. Retrieved 30 August 2017.
- "China Is Creating the World's Largest Power Company". Bloomberg News. 28 August 2017. Retrieved 29 August 2017.
- "China’s Newly-Established National Energy Investment Group Sets World Records in Its Sector, With Assets of Over CNY1.8 Trillion," Yicai Global, 11-28-2017
To access additional data, including an interactive map of coal-fired power stations, a downloadable dataset, and summary data, please visit the Global Coal Plant Tracker on the Global Energy Monitor website.