Belfast coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Belfast coal mine is an operating South African coal mine. It is located 10 km southwest of Belfast in the Mpumalanga province.
The map below shows the exact location of the project. It is located 10 km southwest of Belfast in the Mpumalanga province.
According to Exxaro,
- "The Belfast mining right was executed in October 2013 and registered in March 2015. All pending licensing appeals lodged against the operation were resolved in 2018 and construction is under way."
Exxaro said the mine is a "a digitally connected mine" where "Belfast maintenance teams can remotely monitor and track all the devices and access performance data."
- Owner: Exxaro
- Parent company: Exxaro
- Location: 10 km southwest of Belfast in the Mpumalanga province
- GPS coordinates: -25.838062, 29.987495 (exact)
- Mine status: Operating
- Start year: 2019
- Mineable reserves: 45.7 million tonnes
- Coal type: Thermal
- Mine size:
- Mine type: Opencast
- Production: 2.2 to 2.7 million tonnes per annum
- Additional proposed production:
- Number of employees: 6,000 direct and indirect
Articles and resources
- Belfast, Exxaro website, accessed 5 Nov. 2019.
- PROSPECTING AND MINING TENEMENT INFORMATION, Exxaro Resources Limited Mineral Resources Report 2018, Exxaro website, accessed 5 Nov. 2019.
- Exxaro’s Belfast mine starts production six months ahead of schedule, Mining Weekly, 12 Sep. 2019.
- Exxaro Belfast project produces first export coal six months ahead of schedule, Miningmx, 13 Sep. 2019.
- BELFAST COAL EARLIER THAN EXPECTED, 12 Sep. 2019, Exxaro website, accessed 5 Nov. 2019.