Bellary Thermal Power Station
Bellary power station (also known as Ballari power station) is an existing 1000 megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station owned and operated by Karnataka Power Corporation in Karnataka state, India.
An additional 700 MW is under construction.
The undated satellite photo below shows the power station in the village of Kudatini, Bellary District, Karnataka state, India.
The power station is located at Kudatini in Bellary district of Karnataka state, India. The first 500 MW unit was commissioned in 2007, and the second 500 MW unit was commissioned on March 23, 2012. A third unit of 700 MW is under construction, originally planned for commissioning in 2014, and then pushed to December 2015.
Unit 3 was commissioned in January 2016.
Kiditini farmers take plant staff hostage
In November 2012, a local association representing farmers living in the vicinity of the plant staged protests to publicize grievances over land acquisition. According to the protesters, more than 1,000 acres of land belonging to 350 families had been acquired for the plant, but the plant had not fulfilled a promise to provide employment to those families who had lost land, with only 150 persons receiving employment. More than six buses carrying over 150 staff from the Bellary Thermal Station were stopped by local famers, who confined them in a school playground in order to pressure authorities to accept their demands. The protest ended after Karnataka Power Corporation officials and local officials met with the farmers and provided assurances that their demands would be taken up.
Project Details for Unit 2 (500 MW) and Unit 3 (700 MW)
- Unit 1: Operating (2007)
- Unit 2: Operating (2012)
- Unit 3: Operating (2016)
- Unit 1: 500 MW
- Unit 2: 500 MW
- Unit 3: 700 MW
Estimated annual CO2:
Source of financing:
- Unit 2: Environmental clearance, India MoEF, Oct 18, 2007
- Unit 3: Environmental clearance, India MoEF, Oct 17, 2009
Resources and articles
- Karnataka Power Corporation, "Ongoing / New Projects", Karnataka Power Corporation website, accessed November 2011.
- ALL INDIA REGIONWISE GENERATING INSTALLED CAPACITY (MW) OF POWER UTILITIES INCLUDING ALLOCATED SHARES IN JOINT AND CENTRAL SECTOR UTILITIES, Central Electricity Authority, March 31, 2012
- "Supply of coal to Power Plants," India Ministry of Power, July 23, 2015
- "BELLARY THERMAL POWER STATION UNIT – III FOR THE MONTH OF September 2014," India MoEF, 2014
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country," Government of India Ministry of Power, March 2016
- "Kuditini famers take BTPS staff 'hostage,'" The Hindu, November 27, 2012
- M. Ahiraj, "Kuditini farmers in a fix," The Hindu, July 5, 2013
- Bellary (BTPS) Coal Power Station India, Global Energy Observatory, accessed March 2012