The Belvedere project was a proposed underground coal mine, investigated by Vale Australia to produce up to 11.5 million tonnes per annum in central Queensland, Australia. As of 2020, project details have been removed from the company website and no significant developments have taken place since 2014. It is believed the project has been cancelled.
The proposed location of the mine is on the map below.
Belvedere was first proposed in 2009 by the Belvedere Joint Venture, which consisted of Vale Australia Pty Ltd with 51% interest, Aquila Resources Ltd with 24.5% interest, and AMCI Pty Ltd with 24.5%. The original proposal suggested an underground longwall coal mine yielding up to 11.5 Million tonnes per annum, and a 4 kilometer rail spur to connect the mine to the Moura-to-Gladstone rail line.
Since 2014, Vale has not mentioned the Belvedere coal project in any of their 20-F SEC filings. It is unclear if or when Vale will begin mining.
The company states that "Belvedere’s estimated reserves are 2.5 billion tonnes. The mine is expected to produce over 7 Mtpa and have a lifespan of over 30 years". 
- Parent Company: Vale Australia Pty Ltd
- Location: 7 km north-east of Moura in Central Queensland.
- GPS Coordinates: -24.49121, 149.9291783 (approximate)
- Status: Proposed
- Production Capacity: up to 11.5 Million tonnes per annum, though an initial yield of 1 to 2 mtpa
- Total Resource: 2.5 billion tonnes (estimated)
- Mineable Reserves:
- Coal type: coking coal
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: Underground longwall
- Start Year: n/a
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- "BELVEDERE COAL PROJECT" INITIAL ADVICE STATEMENT," "Hansen Bailey: Environmental Consultants," September 2, 2009.
- "Vale buys out AMCI stake in Belvedere," "Australia's Mining Monthly," June 2, 2010.
- "Vale concludes Belvedere coal project purchase option," "Vale website," April 2, 2013.
- "Form 20-F: VALE S.A.," "UNITED STATES SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION", 2014.
- Vale, "Projects", Vale website, accessed January 2011.
- "Vale To Conclude Purchase Option Of Belvedere, Exercised In 2010, After Independent Valuation," "EPC Engineer," January 31, 2013.
- "Belvedere Coal Project," "Queensland Government: Department of State Development, Tourism and Innovation," December 6, 2017.