Belview coal project
|This article is part of the |
Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.
The Belview coal project is a proposed underground metallurgical coal mine to be located 10 kilometers from Blackwater in the Bowen Basin of Queensland, Australia.
Although Belview resources are listed on company reports, no further exploration or permitting of the project has been considered in more than 6 years, suggesting a development project is shelved.
The satellite image below shows the exact location of the proposed mine in Queensland, Australia.
The exploration of this mine is being funded by A$1.5-million exploration support from Japan’s Taiheiyo Kouhatsu that provides funding for resource drilling. This is the third such funding arrangement for a Stanmore site since 2012. Under the combined rights of the current exploration support agreement, and the first exploration support agreement at Belview, Taiheiyo Kouhatsu had the entitlement to purchase up to 200 thousand tonnes per year of production from Belview, over the first five years of operations. Within this arrangement, the first 225 thousand tonnes of coal purchased would be priced at A$2/t discount to the Japanese settlement price, which prevailed at the time of the agreement.
Originally, Stanmore planned for first coal production in 2018 and aimed to ramp up to full longwall production from 2020. However, as of 2023, there has been no recent news of development.
- Operator: Stanmore Coal
- Owner: Stanmore Coal
- Location: 10km south-east of Blackwater, Queensland, Australia
- GPS Coordinates: -23.587132, 148.977385 (exact)
- Status: Shelved
- Production Capacity: 3.5 mtpa
- Total Resource: 330 million tonnes
- Mineable Reserves:
- Coal Type: Coking coal (Metallurgical)
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: Underground longwall mining
- Start Year:
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- Stanmore Coal, "Belview Project", Stanmore Coal website, accessed 14 November 2019.
- Mining Weekly, "Stanmore secures more funding for Belview exploration", 4 November 2014.
- "Belview Mining Study Completed", Mining Business Media, accessed March 2023.
- 2022 Annual Coal Resources and Reserve Summary, Stanmore Resources website, 27 Feb. 2023.