Benga power station (Kibo Energy)
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Mozambique and coal|
Benga power station (Kibo Energy) is a proposed 300-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Benga, Mozambique.
A separate proposal in Benga is the Benga power station (ICVL).
The map below shows the Tete province, the approximate location where the plant would be built.
In February 2019, it was reported that Kibo Energy and its joint venture partner, Termoelectrica de Mozambique de Benga S.A. (Termoeléctrica), had completed a Definitive Feasibility Study (DFS) to construct and operate a 150 to 300 MW coal-fired power plant in Tete province, called the Benga Independent Power Project. Kibo said a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Mozambican state-owned electric utility, Electricidade de Mocambique (EDM), had been renewed to advance the financing, construction and operation of the project. According to World Coal, "Benga is located in the Tete Province in direct vicinity of various thermal coal producers, which could be a source of feedstock."
In May 2020, Kibo Energy said it had signed a binding term sheet to supply 200 MW of energy from its in-development Benga power plant to Baobab Resources’ Tete Steel and Vanadium (TSV) project in Mozambique. The deal is subject to reaching final agreement on a PPA. In December 2020, Kibo Energy said it had submitted a draft PPA for approximately 200 MW from the Benga project to the Baobab Tete Steel project.
In April 2019, Kibo hired Wimmer Financial to be its financial adviser for most of Kibo’s projects, including the Benga power plant.
- Sponsor: Kibo Energy (65%), Termoeléctrica de Benga (35%)
- Parent company: Kibo Energy (65%), Termoeléctrica de Benga (35%)
- Location: Benga, Songo District, Tete province, Mozambique
- Coordinates: -15.5, 32.5 (approximate)
- Status: Announced
- Gross Capacity: 300 MW (Units 1 & 2: 150 MW)
- Projected in service:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: Benga, Mozambique
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Kibo provides update on Benga power plant project," World Coal, 01 February 2019
- "Kibo Energy to help power Baobab's Tete Steel and Vanadium project". Mozambique. 2020-05-19. Retrieved 2020-06-04.
- Ila Patel, "Kibo Energy submits draft PPA for Mozambique power station," IJGlobal, Dec. 17, 2020
- "Kibo Energy selects financial adviser for Africa projects | News | IJGlobal". ijglobal.com. Retrieved 2020-11-18.
Related SourceWatch articles
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|