Benxi Cogen power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of China and coal|
Benxi Cogen power station (国家电投本溪热电分公司) is a 700-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Liaoning Province, China.
The undated satellite photo below shows the plant in Benxi Prefecture, Liaoning Province.
Background on Project
As of 2014 CPI Northeast Power Co of CPI was planning to build a two-unit coal-fired power plant with a total capacity of 700 MW in Liaoning Province. The plant is scheduled to be completed in 2015.
Project suspended, then revived
July 2017: Plant postponed by government
In July 2017 China's National Energy Administration (NEA) postponed or halted 185 coal-burning units across 21 provinces, totaling nearly 107 gigawatts (GW). 114 coal units totaling 65 GW are postponed for consideration until after the end of the 13th 5-year plan, in 2020. In addition, 71 coal units totaling nearly 42 GW were halted indefinitely for regulation violations. NEA said its goal is to eventually suspend or halt 150 GW of coal capacity during the 13th 5-year plan (2016-2020).
Benxi Cogen power station Units 1-2 are among the postponed coal-burning units.
September 2017: Suspension lifted
After political negotiations, China's National Energy Administration (NEA) released an updated list of postponed and halted coal projects on September 26, 2017. The new list contained 151 units totaling 95 gigawatts (GW). Benxi Cogen power station was no longer on the list, suggesting the plant is not suspended.
For more information, see China's 2016/2017 Restrictions on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity.
In November 2017 it was reported that the power station was planned for operation by end-2017.
In July 2015, China Power Investment Corporation (CPI) and State Nuclear Power Technology Corporation (SNPTC) merged to become State Power Investment Corporation (国家电力投资集团), one of the five largest state-owned electricity producers in the People's Republic of China.
- Sponsor: SPIC Northeast Electric Power Co, Ltd.
- Parent company: State Power Investment Corporation
- Location: Hedi Village, Gaotaizi Town, Mingshan, Benxi Prefecture, Liaoning Province, China
- Coordinates: 41.347103, 123.813289 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Gross capacity: 700 MW (Units 1 & 2: 350 MW)
- Type: Supercritical
- Start year: 2018
- Coal type:
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "关于辽宁中电投本溪热电厂“上大压小”新建项目环境影响报告书的批复", 中华人民共和国环境保护部, 2014-03-13
- "“蓝天工程”提升本溪新“气”质—中华环保世纪行(本溪)系列报道之一", 本溪网, 2014-8-22
- "关于辽宁中电投本溪热电厂“上大压小”新建项目环境影响报告书的批复," China MEP, March 13, 2014
- "辽宁中电投本溪热电厂“上大压小”新建工程#5标段防," zgbidding.com, July 9, 2016
- "16部委联合发文防范化解煤电产能过剩风险," Sohu.com, 2017-08-03
- "2017年分省煤电停建和缓建项目名单," Sohu, 2017-10-12
- "以创业者的名义——本溪热电项目工程建设纪实之三生产准备篇," 办公室、本溪热电作者, 2017-11-12
- "国家电投辽宁本溪电厂1号机组通过168小时试运," 中国电建, 2018/6/21
- "辽宁本溪热电厂2号机组通过168试运," 国际电力网, 2018-08-02
- "Chinese nuclear giant officially launched". World Nuclear Association. 16 July 2015. Retrieved 4 May 2015.