Berezovsky 1 coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
|Please visit Global Energy Monitor to download the dataset|
Berezovsky coal mine (Разрез Березовский), also known as Berezovsky-1 is an operating coal mine in Krasnoyarsk Krai, Russia.
The image below shows the exact location of the mine, 15 km north of Sharypovo, in the Sharypovsky District, Krasnoyarsk Krai, Russia.
Berezovsky coal mine is operated by SUEK-Krasnoyarsk, which is owned by Siberian Energy Coal Company (SUEK).
In 2018 SUEK was constructing a plant at the Berezovsky open-pit to produce briquettes from coke breeze with reduced iron content for ferroalloys and silicon industries. In 2019 a facility for the deep processing of brown coal with an annual capacity of 30,000 tonnes of finished product was ready for commissioning. The facility launched in 2020 after final investments of 1 billion roubles. Smokeless coal pellets called 'Siberian briquettes' are now available for purchase by households.
On February 17, 2018, about 80 people blocked the road to the Berezovsky open-pit coal mine for 10 hours. “Our cancer wards are full,” screamed one of the detained activists to the policemen, in a posted YouTube video of the event. Five protesters were detained, and two of them sentenced to two nights in jail.
- Operator: SUEK-Krasnoyarsk
- Parent Company: SUEK
- Location: Sharypovo, Sharypovsky District, Krasnoyarsk Krai
- GPS Coordinates: 55.677760, 89.175606 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Capacity: 7 mtpa
- Production: 3.381 mtpa (2020), 4.4 mtpa (8m 2022)
- Total Reserves: 3,363
- Mineable Reserves:
- Coal type: Lignite
- Mine Type: Surface 
- Start Year: 1980
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- Russian Wikipedia, "Разрез Березовский-1," Russian wikipedia, accessed 17 February 2020.
- "JSC "Open-pit mine Berezovsky"," "SUEK website," accessed September 2022.
- SUEK, "Empowered: Integrated Report 2018," page 53, SUEK, 2019.
- SUEK, "SUEK speaks about smokeless fuel at the Siberian Energy Forum," SUEK, 21 November 2019.
- "Огонь без сажи и выбросов»: бездымное топливо стало еще более доступным для красноярцев". newslab.ru. 4 September 2020.
- News from the Field: Russia's Anti Coal Movement, Pacific Environment, March 1, 2018
- "ИТОГИ РАБОТЫ УГОЛЬНОЙ ПРОМЫШЛЕННОСТИ РОССИИ ЗА ЯНВАРЬ-ДЕКАБРЬ 2020 ГОДА". cyberleninka.ru. Retrieved 2022. Check date values in:
- "СУЭК на Березовском разрезе досрочно отметил новый год". ngs24.ru. 5 September 2022.
- "SUEK Annual Report (page 70 Reserves)". Retrieved September 2022. Check date values in: