Berenice-Cygnus Coal Mine
|This article is part of the |
Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.
The project, which is a joint venture of TerraCom Resources and various private mining companies, consists of two neighboring mine sites — Berenice and Cygnus.
The image below shows the approximate location of the proposed mines near Waterpoort, Limpopo Province, South Africa.
The Berenice/Cygnus project is located in the Soutpansberg Coalfield 90km southwest of Musina, and just outside of environmentally sensitive areas such as the Mapungubwe World Heritage Site and proposed environmental buffer zones.
It was first proposed in 2011 by Universal Coal. However, in June 2020, TerraCom acquired 100% of Universal's coal shares. As such, the Berenice and Cygnus mines are owned by TerraCom and Bono Lithihi Investments Group, and TerraCom and Solar Spectrum 365, respectively.
The project was previously thought to be shelved, but as 2021, TerraCom reports a mining right application, environmental impact assessment, and integrated water use license for Berenice have been filed and accepted by South Africa's Department of Mineral Resources. The environmental impact assessment and water use license for Cygnus have been commissioned.
The life-of-mine is estimated at 20 years.
- Operator: TerraCom Resources
- Owners: Berenice - TerraCom Resources (50%), Bono Lithihi Investments Group (50%)
- Owners: Cygnus - TerraCom (50%), Solar Spectrum 365 (50%)
- Location: Near the town of Waterpoort, Limpopo Province, South Africa
- GPS Coordinates: -22.9028678, 29.4318658 (approximate)
- Status: Proposed
- Production Capacity: 10 million tonnes per annum
- Total Resource: 1350 million tonnes
- Mineable Reserves: 402.4 million tonnes
- Coal Type: Bituminous (Thermal & metallurgical)
- Mine Size: 7.76 hectares (Berenice); 12.3 hectares (Cygnus)
- Mine Type: Surface
- Start Year: TBD
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- Seeking Alpha,Universal Coal Confirms Sustainable 10mtpa Coking Coal Project, April 23, 2012.
- Universal Coal Investor Presentation, September 2016
- Bernice/Cygnus, Universal Coal website, accessed July 2022.
- Terracom Limited Annual Report 2021, Terracom website, accessed October 2022.
- Universal Coal launches Concept Study at 1.3Bt Berenice Cygnus coking coal project