Berwind Mine is a metallurgical coal mine in West Virginia, United States.
The map below shows McDowell County, West Virginia, the approximate location of the mine.
The Berwind Coal Reserve is located on about 31,200 acres in McDowell County, West Virginia. Operation began in 2017 by project owner Ramaco Resources, which expects to reach an annual operating capacity at the mine of 800,000 tons of coal by 2020. Estimated reserves are 72 million tons.
- Owner: Ramaco Resources
- Mine Status: Operating
- Start year: 2017
- Current Capacity: 800,000 Tonnes per annum
- Recoverable Reserves: 71 Million tonnes (44 proven, 27 probable)
- Proposed Capacity:
- Location: McDowell County, West Virginia
- Coordinates: 37.37, -81.65 (approximate)
- Coal Type: Metallurgical
- Mining Method:
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- Proposed coal mines
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map:
- "Interior Secretary Zinke Applauds Mine Proposal to Create Jobs in Virginia and West Virginia," US Dept of Interior, 8/1/2017
- "FORM 10-K Annual Report," Ramaco Resources, Mar. 19, 2019