Bexbach-C power station

From Global Energy Monitor

Part of the
Global Coal Plant Tracker,
a Global Energy Monitor project.
Download full dataset
Report an error
Related coal trackers:

Bexbach-C power station is an operating power station of at least 780-megawatts (MW) in Bexbach, Saarpfalz, Saarland, Germany.


Table 1: Project-level location details

Plant name Location Coordinates (WGS 84)
Bexbach-C power station Bexbach, Saarpfalz, Saarland, Germany 49.3635, 7.2371 (exact)

The map below shows the exact location of the power station.

Loading map...

Unit-level coordinates (WGS 84):

  • Unit 1: 49.363454, 7.237098

Project Details

Table 2: Unit-level details

Unit name Status Fuel(s) Capacity (MW) Technology Start year Retired year
Unit 1 operating coal - bituminous 780 MW subcritical - -

Table 3: Unit-level ownership and operator details

Unit name Owner Parent
Unit 1 KW Bexbach VWG mbH Kommunale Beteiligungsgesellschaft GmbH & Co KG


  • Source of financing:


The 773 MW plant was commissioned in 1983.[1]

In September 2014 STEAG agreed to the takeover of EnBW's share in the power station. EnBW held 75 percent of Bexbach-C and STEAG owned the remaining 25 percent.[2]

In November 2016, plant owner Steag GmbH said it planned to mothball nearly a third of its German power generation capacity, including Bexbach, citing a massive decline in wholesale prices.[3]

As of June 2022, in the face of energy security concerns due to the war in Ukraine, the Bexbach power station was deemed "system relevant".[4]

Articles and Resources


Additional data

To access additional data, including an interactive map of coal-fired power stations, a downloadable dataset, and summary data, please visit the Global Coal Plant Tracker on the Global Energy Monitor website.