Bhandewadi power station
Bhandewadi power station is a proposed 500-megawatt (MW) coal plant in Maharashtra, India.
The map below shows the location of Bhandewadi village, but not the exact location of the project:
Bhandewadi power station is a 500 megawatt coal-fired power station proposed to be built by Nagpur Municipal Corporation in Bhandewadi village in Nagpur district. Bhandewadi hosts the city's sewage treatment plant and landfill.
In 2010, MP Vilas Muttemwar raised concerns about the project with environment and forest minister Jairam Ramesh. According to a press report, Muttemwar said, "I met the minister today and brought to his notice how the thermal plant within the city could prove to be an environmental disaster and pose serious shortage of drinking to the city as there was possibility of it being diverted for the proposed power plant. The minister gave a firm assurance to look into the matter and even indicated that no such thermal power plant could be set up within the city limits because of the fly ash and toxic gases it generates.... I have absolutely no doubts that he will not give permission for a thermal power plant in the vicinity of several big schools and educational institutions that have come up near Bhandewadi."
In February 2011, The Times of India reported that the "grand plans of setting up a thermal power plant close to Bhandewadi" had not progressed and were "stuck" in the office of chief minister Prithviraj Chavan.
Sponsor: Nagpur Municipal Corporation
Location: Bhandewadi village, Nagpur district, Maharashtra
Coordinates: 20.009935, 79.195774 (approximate)
Capacity: 500 MW
Projected in service:
Estimated annual CO2:
Source of financing:
- Platts, "World Electric Power Plants Database, September 2011", accessed November 2011. The database is not available online but a downloadable spreadsheet can be purchased.
- Falguni Banerjee, "Civic body passes the buck to state government", The Times of India, February 16, 2011.
- "Ramesh to take a call on Bhandewadi power plant," The Times of India, August 11, 2010
- Falguni Banerjee, "Civic body passes the buck to state government," Times of India, February 16, 2011
Related SourceWatch articles
- India and coal
- Proposed coal plants in India
- Tata Power
- Tata Ultra Mega
- India and nuclear power
- U.S.- India Civil Nuclear Cooperation Initiative
- Global use and production of coal