|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
|Please visit Global Energy Monitor to download the dataset|
The Bhatadi coal mine is operated by Western Coalfield Limited, a subsidiary of Coal India, located in Bhatadi Village, Chandrapur District in Maharashtra state, India.
The satellite image below shows the area of the mine in Bhatadi village, Chandrapur District, Maharashtra.
The Bhatadi mine, also known as the Bhatadi Opencast Coal Mine, has a capacity of 1.465 million tonne-per-annum mine. It is owned by Western Coalfields Limited, a subsidiary of Coal India Limited.
The mine, which has been in operation since 1998, has undergone several expansions. In May 2005, the Government of India's Ministry of Environment and Forests granted an environmental clearance (EC) for the mine to expand from 0.25 to 0.65 million tonnes per annum (MTPA) in production, and from 287.57 to 847.57 hectares in mine size. The project involved displacement of 495 households located in a nearby village, the Public Hearing for which was held on 22 January 2001.
In March 2015, approval was granted to increase production to 0.975 within the existing EC area.
In October 2017, Western Coalfields Ltd. submitted an expansion proposal to increase the mine's capacity to 1.465 MTPA within the existing EC area. The EC for this project was granted in March 2020.
As of 2020, another proposal to increase production to 2 MTPA within an area of 1436.86 hectares (tentative) is also in the works. It is estimated that this increase in land area would add an additonal 45 million tonnes of coal reserves, and with the maximum projected capacity of 2.0 MTPA, would extend the life of the Bhatadi mine another 20-25 years.
- Operator: Western Coalfields Limited
- Owner: Coal India Limited
- Location: Bhatadi Village, Chandrapur District, Maharashtra state, India
- GPS Coordinates: 20.057380, 79.267357
- Status: Operating
- Capacity: 1.465 million tonnes-per-annum
- Production: 1.47 million tonnes (2020)
- Total Resource: 45.7 (2017) 
- Mineable Reserves: 12.8 (Proven and Probable, 2017) 
- Coal Type:
- Mine Size: 847.57 ha
- Mine Type: Opencast
- Start Year: 1998
- Source of Financing:
- Permits and Applications: Environmental Clearance for expansion in production capacity to 1.465 MTPA, India MoEF&CC, 19 May, 2005
Project Expansion Details
- Status: Proposed
- Capacity: 0.535 MTPA
- Mineable Reserves: 45 million tonnes
- Start Year:
- Source of Funding:
Articles and Resources
- Expansion of Bhatadi OC Expn., Maharashtra Pollution Control Board, May 2019.
- Environmental Clearance for expansion in production capacity to 1.465 MTPA, India MoEF&CC, 19 May, 2005
- Bhatadi Expansion OC Mine, Government of India Ministry of Environment Forest and Climate Change, Accessed July 2022.
- Western Coal, "Expansion of Bhatadi Opencast Coal Mine", Western Coal website, Accessed June 2021.
Related GEM.wiki articles