Bhatgaon coal mine
|This article is part of the |
Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.
The Bhatgaon Coal Mine is operated by South Eastern Coalfields Limited, a subsidiary of Coal India, in Surguja district, State Chhattisgarh, India.
The map below shows the location of the Bhatgaon coal mine, near Bhatgaon village, Surguja district, Chhattisgarh state.
Background on Mine
The mine consists of Bhatgaon underground operation, with a capacity of 0.6 MTPA, and the Shankarpur (Bhatgaon-II) extension project, which has a total capacity of 2 MTPA--1.8 million tonnes from a surface operation and 0.2 million tonnes from an underground operation. The mines sit on a mining lease area of 3332.49 ha is part of Bisrampur coal block. The mine is operated by South Eastern Coalfields Limited, a subsidiary of Coal India.
Bhatgaon underground project of 0.6 MTPA was granted environment clearance on 9 July 1986 but due to changed environmental guidelines an application for revalidation of the EC was made to the MoEF&CC, India again by SECL on 31 August 2018.
Shankarpur (Bhatgaon-II) & Extension Coalmine (OC 1.80 MTPA and UG 0.20 MTPA over an ML area of 3005.12 ha) located in the vilages Shankarpur, Sohagra, Mohanpur, Bojha, Mayapur of District Surguja was first allotted to Chhattisgarh Mineral Development Corporation Limited but was later cancelled by Supreme Court in wake of the Coalgate Scandal and was later allotted to South Eastern Coalfields Limited. The mine consists of two blocks – Bhatgaon II Block and Extension Block. Of the total extractable reserves of 58.45 MT, 55.15 MT is by OC and 3.3 MT by UG. UG mining would be from 4th -20th year of mine operation.
- Sponsor: South Eastern Coalfields Limited
- Parent company: Coal India Limited
- Location: Bhatgaon village, Surguja district, Chhattisgarh state, India
- GPS coordinates: Latitude 23.37063, Longitude 82.99223
- Status: Operating
- Capacity: 2.06 MTPA
- Production:0.42 million tonnes (2020)
- Total Resource: 80.13 MT
- Mineable Reserves: 58.45 MT
- Coal Type: Non-coking coal, Grade A-G
- Mine Size: 3332.49 ha
- Mine Type: Underground and opencast
- Start Year:
- Source of Financing:
- Permits and Applications: SECL application to the MoEF&CC for revalidation of EC, 31 August 2018; Minutes of 45th EAC of MoEF&CC India, 21-22 February 2012; EIA/EMP Summary of the project, CMDC, November 2011
- Size of Expansion:
- Permits and Applications:
Articles and resources
- SECL application to the MoEF&CC for revalidation of EC, 31 August 2018
- Minutes of 45th EAC of MoEF&CC India, 21-22 February 2012
- Project summary of Bhatgaon II extension, Ministry of coal accessed on April 16, 2020