Bheramara-Khulna Gas Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Bheramara-Khulna Gas Pipeline is a natural gas pipeline in Bangladesh.
The pipeline runs from Bheramara, Bangladesh, to Khulna, Bangladesh.
- Operator: Gas Transmission Company Limited (GTCL)
- Owner: Gas Transmission Company Limited (GTCL)
- Parent company: Petrobangla
- Capacity: 250 million cubic feet per day
- Length: 101 mi / 163 km
- Diameter: 20 inches
- Status: Operating
- Start year: 2015
- Associated infrastructure:
Temporary project shelving, delays
In April 2006, the Executive Committee of the National Economic Council shelved plans for the Bheramara-Khulna gas pipeline project.
In February 2009, it was revealed that GTCL would proceed with installing the proposed 165-km gas supply lines from Bheramara to Khulna, however, construction was still slow to start. Agitated by the delays, residents of Khulna City and 9 other districts of the southwestern region formed human chains in demand for the revival of the cancelled Bheramara-Khulna Gas Transmission Line Project.  According to officials, the people and industries, too, had become anxious for the supply of gas not only because it was important for the region's socio-economic development, but also because they were unable to cope with electricity price hikes.
The project would encounter several more delays, including challenges with laying the pipeline in 2011 and 2013. (In order to lay the pipeline, workers had to traverse the river bed at the Pakshi-Bheramara point, which meant having to overcome rocks which were used in the river bed for the construction of the Hardinge Bridge during the British colonial period.
The Bheramara-Khulna gas pipeline was finally commissioned in December 2015.
Articles and resources
- Existing Pipelines, GTCL, accessed July 2018.
- "Annual Report 2020" (PDF). Petrobangla.
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- "Agitation mounts for pipeline gas to S-W districts" The Daily Star, May 15, 2006.
- "GTCL to install 165-km gas pipeline in SW region" The Daily Star, Feb. 10, 2009.
- "Human Chains in 10 Districts Demand Revive Bheramara-Khulna gas pipeline project" The Daily Star, Apr. 12, 2009.
- "Gas to Khulna delayed by technical dead-end" The Daily Star, Dec. 3, 2014.