Bhubaneshwar Jasper power station

From Global Energy Monitor
Part of the
Global Coal Plant Tracker,
a Global Energy Monitor project.
Download full dataset
Report an error
Related coal trackers:

Bhubaneshwar Jasper power station is an operating power station of at least 135-megawatts (MW) in Anantapur, Athagarh, Cuttack, Odisha, India. It is also known as Tata Steel and Jasper Industries.


Table 1: Project-level location details

Plant name Location Coordinates (WGS 84)
Bhubaneshwar Jasper power station Anantapur, Athagarh, Cuttack, Odisha, India 20.479398, 85.74492 (exact)

The map below shows the exact location of the power station.

Loading map...

Unit-level coordinates (WGS 84):

  • Unit 1, Unit 2: 20.479398, 85.74492

Project Details

Table 2: Unit-level details

Unit name Status Fuel(s) Capacity (MW) Technology Start year Retired year
Unit 1 operating coal - unknown 67.5 unknown 2016
Unit 2 operating coal - unknown 67.5 unknown 2016

Table 3: Unit-level ownership and operator details

Unit name Owner
Unit 1 Bhubaneshwar Power Pvt Ltd (BPPL) [100.0%]
Unit 2 Bhubaneshwar Power Pvt Ltd (BPPL) [100.0%]

Project-level captive use details

  • Captive industry use (heat or power): other metals & mining
  • Captive industry: Power

Project-level coal details

  • Permit(s): May 14, 2010 – Environmental Clearance; Environmental Clearance Extension: 2015-08-14


Source of financing:


The captive power station was proposed in Bhubaneshwar, the capital of Odisha. It would comprise two 67.5 MW units. Bhubaneshwar Power is a joint venture between Tata Steel and its subsidiary, Rawmet Ferrous Industries, which between them hold a 26% share, and Jasper Industries the remaining 74% stake.[1]

The plant received environmental clearance in 2010,[2] which was extended in August 2015 to May 2017.[3] The plant was commissioned in 2016.[4]

In April and May, 2017, the project was advertising for a plant execution manager and an erection commissioning engineer.[5]

In December 2017, Tata Steel executed definitive agreements to acquire 74% equity shares of Bhubaneshwar Power from JL (Jasper) Power Ventures for Rs255cr, making Bhubaneshwar Power a wholly-owned subsidiary of Tata Group.[6]

In 2018, the Centre's green panel took action against the plant for violating EC norms related to coal transport.[4] In April 2019 (27th Meeting, Thermal), the Expert Appraisal Committee extended the permission granted to the plant in December 2015 to transport coal by road for another period of two years, i.e. from December 2018 until December 2020.[7]

Articles and Resources


Additional data

To access additional data, including an interactive map of coal-fired power stations, a downloadable dataset, and summary data, please visit the Global Coal Plant Tracker on the Global Energy Monitor website.