Bibiyana South power station
|Part of the Global Gas Plant Tracker, a Global Energy Monitor and Center for Media and Democracy project.|
The map below shows the exact location of the power station in Habiganj District, Sylhet Division, Bangladesh.
Initially, the Bangladesh Power Development Board expected the plant to begin operation in 2016, beginning with simple cycle and following with combined cycle within a year. With delays due to problems with funding and with engineering, procurement and construction contractors, the operating date was pushed to September 2019. In December 2018, reports said it was only 22% completed.
The plant will be located in Parkul village, Nabiganj, a sub-district of Habiganj District, on the south bank of the river Kushiyara. The project is part of Bangladesh's plan to get reliable electricity to all residents by 2020.
This 2018 video appears to show the plant under construction near the river.
- Sponsor: Bangladesh Power Dev Board
- Parent company: Bangladesh Power Dev Board
- Location: Parkul Village, Habiganj District, Bangladesh
- Coordinates: 24.634998, 91.660499 (exact)
- Gross capacity (under construction): 400 MW
- Gas Turbine unit: 252 MW (to start 2021)
- Combined-cycle unit: 131 MW (to start 2021)
Articles and Resources
- Bibiyana South Combined Cycle Power Plant, Power Technology, accessed Dec 22, 2019
- 400 MW Bibiyana-III Combined Cycle Power Project, Bangladesh, Larsen & Toubro website, accessed Dec 22, 2019
- Bibiyana South power plant project likely to face further delay, New Age Bangladesh, Dec 11, 2018