Bina Thermal Power Project
Bina Thermal Power Project is a 500-megawatt (MW) coal-fired project located in the Singrauli district of Madhya Pradesh, India.
The map below shows the location of the plant in Bina tehsil.
The project is proposed by Jaiprakash Power Ventures, a power generation subsidiary of the privately owned Jaypee Group, a major Indian infrastructure company with interests in civil engineering and construction, cement, power, real estate, expressways, hospitality, golf courses and education. It is being developed by the JPV subsidiary Bina Power Supply Company Limited.
While the Central Electricity Authority describes the projects as being 500 MW in size, in 2012 Jaiprakash Power Ventures described it as a 1,250 MW project, implying a 750 MW expansion was planned. In 2011, Jaiprakash Power received a "Terms of Reference" from the Ministry of Environment and Forests for a 700 MW expansion project at Bina.
In 2014, Jaiprakash Power Ventures no longer mentioned Unit 3 project on its website, suggesting it has been cancelled.
In November 2009, a financing agreement for phase I (units 1 and 2) was closed. US$412.06 million in loans will be provided by State Bank of India, Jammu & Kashmir Bank, Bank of Rajasthan, Allahabad Bank, Canara Bank, State Bank of India, Central Bank of India, Punjab National Bank, IDBI Bank, and Union Bank of India.
Sponsor: Jaiprakash Power Ventures
Location: Jodh and Sirchopi villages, Bina tehsil, Sagar district, Madhya Pradesh
Coordinates: 24.3172217, 78.133564 (exact)
- Unit 1: Operating - commissioned August 2012
- Unit 2: Operating - commissioned March 2013
- Unit 3: Cancelled
- Unit 1: 250 MW
- Unit 2: 250 MW
- Unit 3: 700 MW
Projected in service:
Estimated annual CO2:
Source of financing: US$412.06 million in debt from State Bank of India, Jammu & Kashmir Bank, Bank of Rajasthan, Allahabad Bank, Canara Bank, State Bank of India, Central Bank of India, Punjab National Bank, IDBI Bank, and Union Bank of India
Permits and applications: Terms of Reference, Unit 3, India MoEF, June 15, 2011
Related SourceWatch articles
- Jaiprakash Power Ventures, "Thermal Power", Jaiprakash Power Ventures website, accessed January 2012.
- "Terms of Reference," MoEF, June 15, 2011
- Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country, Central Electricity Authority, August 2013
- "Thermal Power: Bina Thermal Power plant – 500 MW," Jaiprakash Power Ventures website, accessed March 2014
- "Bina Power Plant Phase I". IJGlobal. March 30, 2016.