Bingay coal project
|This article is part of the |
Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.
The Bingay Coal Project was a proposed surface mine, operated by Centermount Coal Limited, set to produce 1 million tonnes per annum, near Elkford, British Columbia, Canada.
The project was terminated in August 2022 after Centermount failed to provide the Impact Assessment Agency of Canada (IAAC) with the required studies for the environmental assessment; in response, the IAAC made the decision not to extend the three-year time limit for Centermount Coal Limited to do so.
The map below shows the approximate location of the proposed project.
Centermount began the permitting process for the mine in 2013.
As of 2020, the project is still currently under review by the Impact Assessment Agency of Canada
In August 2022, after Centermount failed to provide the required studies for the environmental assessment, the Impact Assessment Agency of Canada made the decision not to extend the legislated three-year time limit in which they had to do so. As such, the environmental assessment for the Bingay Main Coal Project was terminated.
- Owner: Centermount
- Parent company: Centermount Resources
- Location: Elkford, British Columbia, Canada
- GPS coordinates: 50.197546, -114.975588 (exact)
- Mine status: Cancelled
- Production: 1 million tonnes per annum
- Mineable reserves: 42.43 million tonnes 
- Coal type: Metallurgical, Bituminous
- Mine depth: 300 m
- Mine type: Surface
- Start year: TBD
- Number of employees:200
Articles and resources
- Ram River Coal, Bingay Coal Project Description Released, Elk Valley Coal News, November 2, 2017, accessed August 2020
- "The Bingay Main Coal Project", The Impact Assessment Agency of Canada website, Accessed November 2023.
- Canadian Impact and Assessment Registry, Bingay Main Coal Project, March 16, 2020
- Centermount Coal Ltd., Bingay Main Coal Project Updated Project Description - Update, August 2017.
- Bingay Main Project, Mining Data Solutions, accessed August 2020