Black Oak Mine
Black Oak Mine was a mine in Boone County, West Virginia, USA.
When the mine opened, the former owner Patriot Coal said it should hit an annual rate of 500,000 tons of coal by mid-2011. Patriot started production at the Black Oak mine in September 2010. The company was aiming to replace metallurgical grade coal lost when its Harris 1 Mine closed in June 2010. Patriot's CEO said Black Oak will help Patriot take advantage of the booming demand for metallurgical coal from Asian steelmakers.
The mine was bought by Blackhawk Mining. The company idled the mine in 2020 and laid off 164 people.
- MSHA ID: Black Oak Mining
- 'Controller:Blackhawk Mining
- Location: Boone, WV, USA
- Coordinates: 37.97, -120.27
- Production (short tons): 0.33 million tons (2020)
- Coal Type: Bituminous Metallurgical
- Mining Method:
- Mine Status: Operating
- Average No. of Employees:
Articles and resources
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- West Virginia and coal
- Proposed coal mines
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map:
- "Patriot Coal says W.Va. mine increasing production" Bloomberg, Nov. 23, 2010.
- Blackhawk to Idle Black Oak Underground Coal Mine, West Virginia, Mining Connection, September 2020