Bloomfield Mine and Colliery
|This article is part of the |
Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.
Bloomfield Mine and Colliery is an open cut mine in New South Wales, Australia.
The mine has remained under the ownership of the same company, The Bloomfield Group, for nearly 100 years. The current owner took over the lease in 1937, named the mine Bloomfield South, and commenced underground mining. The last coal extracted from underground operations was in May 1992, while open cut mining began in 1966.
The mine produces thermal coal and some semi-soft coking coal that is principally sent to the Asian export market. In addition, the colliery has a coal handling & preparation plant and bulk handling services, which allows the mine to partner with other coal producers to provide coal washing and handling. These include the nearby Abel Mine and the Tasman extended mines.
In 2018, the Minister for Planning approved a plan that extended the life of the Bloomfield Mine until 2030. Previously, it’s life was set to end in 2021.
- Sponsor: Bloomfield Collieries Pty Ltd
- Parent Company: Bloomfield Group of Companies
- Location: Located at Buttai, 4 km south-west of Cessnock, and approximately 20 km north-west of Newcastle
- GPS Coordinates: -32.7928986,151.5841947
- Status: Operating
- Production Capacity: 1.3 million tonnes per annum
- Reserves: 8 Mt (Proved and Probable)
- Mineable Reserves:
- Coal type: primarily thermal although some semi-soft coking coal
- Mine Size: 299 ha
- Mine Type: open cut
- Start Year: 1937
- Source of Financing:
- "About us", The Bloomfield Group website, accessed May 2020.
- "Bloomfield Colliery: Annual Review Report 2019", The Bloomfield Group website, 2019.
- "Bloomfield Collieries", Bloomfield Group website, accessed May 2020.
- "Project Approval: Section 75J of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979", Minister for Planning, 2018.
- "Bloomfield Coal Mine", Australian Government: Bioregional Assessments, 18 January 2019.
- Bloomfield Group, "Bloomfield Colliery Mining Operations Plan 2018 – 2020", Bloomfield website, Accessed April 2021