Bolivia–Paraguay Gas Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Bolivia–Paraguay Gas Pipeline is a proposed natural gas pipeline in Bolivia and Paraguay.
The pipeline would run east from Villa Montes, Tarija department, Bolivia to Mariscal Estigarribia, Paraguay, where it would turn southeast and follow the Ruta Transchaco (Transchaco Highway, or Ruta 9) to Asunción, Paraguay.
- Operator: YPFB (Yacimientos Petrolíferos Fiscales Bolivianos), PETROPAR (Petróleos Paraguayos)
- Parent Company: Bolivian and Paraguayan governments
- Capacity: 6 MMcm/d (212 MMcf/d)
- Length: 900 km / 559 miles
- Status: Proposed
- Start Year: 2024
In June 2019 Bolivian president Evo Morales and Paraguayan president Mario Abdo Benítez announced plans to construct a 900-kilometer international gas pipeline between Villa Montes, Bolivia and Asunción, Paraguay. Feasibility studies for the project were to be undertaken over an eight-month period by state-owned gas companies YPFB (Yacimientos Petrolíferos Fiscales Bolivianos) and PETROPAR (Petróleos Paraguayos). Following completion of these initial studies, the two countries plan to seek investors for the project, with the goal of commissioning the pipeline by 2024. YPFB president Óscar Barriga estimated that in its initial phase, the pipeline could supply 6 to 10 million cubic meters per day of Bolivian natural gas to consumers in Paraguay.
As of July 2022, the pipeline's prospects remained uncertain. Despite experts' expressions of doubt about the project's feasibility, and a December 2020 statement by Bolivian hydrocarbons minister Franklin Molina that "the technical and economic conditions do not exist to justify this kind of an expense because demand is not there", Paraguayan president Mario Abdo Benítez and Bolivian president Luis Arce continued to discuss the project as recently as June 2022.
Articles and resources
- "Bolivia y Paraguay estudiarán la construcción de un gasoducto". El Deber. June 12, 2019.
- "El MIC firmó convenio para diseñar gasoducto con Bolivia". Última Hora. June 18, 2019.
- "Paraguay y Bolivia firman los acuerdos para el gasoducto - Política - ABC Color". ABC Paraguay. June 12, 2019.
- "Bolivia y Paraguay acuerdan construcción de gasoducto de integración energética". YPFB. June 12, 2019.
- "Ficha del Proyecto". Cosiplan. July 29, 2016.
- "Expertos dudan sobre factibilidad de construir un ducto a Paraguay". El Deber. June 13, 2019.
- "Q&A: Bolivia doubles down on gas". December 31, 2020.
- "Paraguay propone extender gasoducto boliviano en su país". Telesur TV. June 14, 2022.