Bongaigaon power station
|Part of the |
Global Coal Plant Tracker,
a Global Energy Monitor project.
|Related coal trackers:|
Bongaigaon power station is an operating power station of at least 750-megawatts (MW) in Kumguri, Kokrajhar, Assam, India with multiple units, some of which are not currently operating.
Table 1: Project-level location details
|Plant name||Location||Coordinates (WGS 84)|
|Bongaigaon power station||Kumguri, Kokrajhar, Kokrajhar, Assam, India||26.44437, 90.367205 (exact)|
The map below shows the exact location of the power station.
Unit-level coordinates (WGS 84):
- Unit 1, Unit 3, Stage II, Unit 2: 26.44437, 90.367205
Table 2: Unit-level details
|Unit name||Status||Fuel(s)||Capacity (MW)||Technology||Start year||Retired year|
|Unit 1||operating||coal - bituminous||250||subcritical||2015||–|
|Unit 3||operating||coal - bituminous||250||subcritical||2019||–|
|Stage II||cancelled||coal - bituminous||250||subcritical||–||–|
|Unit 2||operating||coal - bituminous||250||subcritical||2017||–|
Table 3: Unit-level ownership and operator details
|Unit 1||NTPC Ltd [100.0%]|
|Unit 3||NTPC Ltd [100.0%]|
|Stage II||NTPC Ltd [100.0%]|
|Unit 2||NTPC Ltd [100.0%]|
Project-level coal details
- Coal source(s): Margherita, Assam; Raniganj, West Bengal
- Permit(s): June 7, 2007 – Environmental Clearance, Terms of Reference: 2010-12-08
Stage I: 750 MW
Construction on the project began in May 2008 with three 250 MW units, projected to be commissioned in July 2012, November 2012, and October 2014, respectively.
In 2013 it was reported that the three units would likely not be commissioned until 2015. The first unit began testing toward commissioning in March 2015, and was commissioned in June 2015. The full 750 MW is planned to be completed in 2017.
The project cost is Rs 5,000 crore.
According to the July 2016 Broad Status Report, progress on Units 2 and 3 has been substantially delayed due to a variety of factors, including:
- "Law and order issues. Frequent bandhs leading to stoppage of work."
- "Work has come to halt in Jul '12, May '14 & Dec '14 due to violence and mass exodus of labour from site.
- Poor performance of BOP/Civil contractors.
- Heavy rains.
The Broad Status Report noted: "Owing to poor performance of main plant civil agencies (SPML, Punjlloyd) their contracts were terminated on 25.11.13. Balance works of U-2&3 awarded to NBCC on 29/09/14. NBCC finalized its sub agencies on 06/01/15 and construction works commenced in Feb’15 due to delay in mobilization by M/s NBCC."
In December 2015 NTPC said Unit 2 of Bongaigaon was planned to be commissioned by March 2017, and Unit 3 in March 2018.
Unit 2 was commissioned in March 2017.
On December 30, 2018, NTPC said the full 750 MW of the plant "will be shortly made available."
Unit 3 was commissioned in March 2019.
According to The Hindu, "At a time when electricity is available in the open market at a round-the-clock average price of ₹3/kilowatt-hour or unit, the North-Eastern States are in a take-or-pay agreement with NTPC Bongaigaon to buy power at ₹5.6/unit."
Stage II: 250 MW expansion
On December 8, 2010, NTPC was issued a ToR (Terms of Reference) by the Ministry of Environment and Forestry for an additional 250 MW plant at the same location. No additional land will be required by the additional unit. The Chakrashila Wildlife Sanctuary is located 7.0 kilometers from the site.
As of May 2016, NTPC has not pursued environmental clearance for this project. It appears to be abandoned.
Articles and Resources
- National Thermal Power Corporation, "Future Capacity Additions", National Thermal Power Corporation website, accessed June 2010.
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country" Government of India Ministry of Power, February 2012.
- "McNally to install coal handling plant at Bongaigaon TPP", February 04, 2010.
- "Local issues impact NTPC's Rs 4,750-crore Assam project," Business Standard, Aug 5, 2013.
- "NTPC Investor Presentation August 2014,"
- "Progress in Bongaigaon thermal unit," The Telegraph, March 3, 2015
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country," India CEA, November 2015
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country," Government of India Ministry of Power, March 2016
- "NTPC commissions 1st 250-mw unit of much-delayed Assam project," Eastern Mirror. June 23, 2015
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country," Government of India Ministry of Power, July 2016
- "NTPC Salakati plant to be operational soon," Assam Times, 15/12/2016
- "Broad Status Report," India Central Electrical Authority, April 2017
- "NTPC to hike power production in Assam by 250 MW," BS, December 30, 2018
- "Executive Summary of the power sector," India CEA, March 2019
- "Why Assam wants a power plant unplugged," The Hindu, Nov 11, 2019
- "1×250 MW for Bongaigaon PP Stage by NTPC Ltd," Thermal MoEF News, July 1, 2011
To access additional data, including an interactive map of coal-fired power stations, a downloadable dataset, and summary data, please visit the Global Coal Plant Tracker on the Global Energy Monitor website.