Bonnybrook power station
|Part of the |
Global Gas Plant Tracker,
a Global Energy Monitor project.
Bonnybrook power station is a proposed 165-megawatt (MW) gas-fired power plant in Calgary in the province of Alberta, Canada. It is also called the Bonnybrook Energy Centre.
The map below shows the exact location of the proposed power station in Ogden, the province of Alberta, Canada.
This project was first announced in 2009 as a cogeneration project to be built by ENMAX on "the Canada Malting site" and would provide heat for Canada Malting and other nearby buildings. The project would have two phases:
- "The first phase will include installing two natural gas-fired turbines, two once-through heat recovery steam generators and one steam turbine. In Phase II, power generation capability will be increased by adding an additional 40 MW turbine and a complementary steam generator."
In December 2015, EBI delayed the project for four years due to "weak market conditions". At that point, ENMAX described the plant in this way:
- "The Bonnybrook Energy Centre (BEC) will use efficient combined-cycle technology that generates electricity from combustion turbines fuelled by natural gas, and from a steam turbine fuelled by heat produced by the combustion turbines. Heat from the combustion turbines is also used to produce hot water that could potentially be used by other businesses."
The Alberta Utilities Commission granted approval until June 30, 2020.
In November 2019, no additional progress seems to have been made and the project appears to be cancelled.
- Sponsor: ENMAX Bonnybrook Inc. (EBI)
- Parent company: ENMAX Power Corp.
- Location: Inglewood, Calgary, in the province of Alberta, Canada
- Coordinates: 51.025643, -114.025982 (exact)
- Gross capacity (cancelled): 205 MW
- Combined-heat-and-power unit phase 1: 165 MW (to start 2020)
- Combined-cycle unit phase 2: 40 MW (start date unknown)
Articles and Resources
- Richard Gilbert, $200 million cogeneration plant planned for Calgary, Daily Commercial News, Aug 10, 2009
- Barry Cassell, ["https://www.transmissionhub.com/articles/2015/12/enmax-delays-165-mw-gas-fired-project-in-alberta-by-four-years.html ENMAX delays 165-MW, gas-fired project in Alberta by four years], Transmission Hub, Dec 27, 2015
- Alberta Utilities Commission Decision 20487-D01-2015 ENMAX Bonnybrook Inc.Bonnybrook Energy Centre Time Extension, Alberta Utilities Commission website, accessed Nov. 2019