Boone North 2 Mine
|This article is part of the |
Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.
Boone North No. 2 Surface Mine is a coal mining operation in Boone County, West Virginia, operated by Raven Crest Contracting, a subsidiary of White Forest Resources.
Below is the exact location of the mine.
Boone North 2 mine was opened in 2004 with Steven R Mullins Excavating Inc a its operator. In 2006, the operator became Raven Crest Contracting, LLC. Raven Crest was acquired by Xinergy in 2010. After declaring bankruptcy, Xinergy was re-structured as White Forest Resources in 2016.
MSHA data indicates that the mine laid off more than half of its workforce in the 2nd quarter of 2019 as it shrank from 65 to 21, and scaled back its average monthly production from 40 thousand tons to 10 thousand tons. In the last quarter of 2019, average employee count went down from 21 to 9, and production further decreased to 5 thousand tons a month. As such, while producing on average half a million tons between 2006 and 2019, in 2020 the mine only produced 20 thousand tons, and employed 21 workers.
- MSHA ID: 4609070
- Operator: Raven Crest Contracting, LLC
- Controller: White Forest Resources, Inc
- Location: Ashford, Boone County, West Virginia
- Coordinates: 38.173016, -81.712943
- Production (short tons): 20,368 (2020)
- Coal Type: Bituminous
- Mining Method: Surface
- Mine Status: Active
- Average No. of Employees: 21
Articles and resources
Related GEM.wiki articles
- West Virginia and coal
- U.S. coal politics
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- Proposed coal mines
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map:
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 U.S. department of labor, MSHA, Mine Data Retrieval System, accessed June 28, 2021
- ↑ "Xinergy announces completion of acquisition of Raven Crest Mining, LLC". News Wire. Apr 29, 2010. Retrieved June 27, 2021.
- ↑ Kuykendall, Taylor (February 12, 2016). "Appalachian coal miner Xinergy emerges from bankruptcy as White Forest Resources". S&P Global Market Intelligence. Retrieved June 28, 2021.
- "Major U.S. Coal Mines," Energy Information Administration