Boualapha power station
The Boualapha power station (also known as the Khammouane power station) is a proposed 2,000-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Boualapha (ເມືອງບົວລະພາ), Khammouane (ຄໍາມ່ວນ), Laos.
The photo below shows the approximate location where the plant will be built in Boualapha district, Khammouane Province, Laos.
According to Mc Andrew and Partners Co., Ltd, a privately owned investment company and investment execution service provider, the Boualapha power station, formerly known as the Khammouane Coal Fired Power Plant, is a proposed 2,000 MW Ultra Supercritical Coal Fired Power Plant to be located in Boualapha, Laos.
The project started in 2016 with "full cooperation" between Petroleum Trading Lao Public Company Limited (through Lanexang Property and Power), Power Line Engineering, and Shanghai Electric. To date, the following has reportedly been achieved:
- Memorandum of Understanding for the development, finance, and construction of the power station on April 5, 2016 between Shanghai Electric and Lanexang Property and Power (Lanexang);
- Letter of Interest for Buyer’s Credit Insurance from China Export & Credit Insurance Corporation issued on December 8, 2016;
- Letter of Interest with indicative term sheet from Bank of China issued on December 15, 2016;
- Memorandum of Understanding was entered into on February 5, 2018 between Vietnam Electricity and Lanexang to allow Lanexang to apply for permission and approval from the Government of the Lao PDR to invest, own, and operate the power plant and transmission lines facilities in order to sell electricity to Vietnam Electricity (EVN);
- Feasibility Study for the project completed in September 2018;
- Government of the Lao PDR (GOL) approved the Project and the Feasibility Study on March 29, 2019;
- Project Development Agreement entered into on August 12, 2019 between GOL and Lanexang to formalize the contractual relationship on an exclusive basis and to enable for project documents necessary to develop the Project to be completed jointly to reach financial close;
- GOL issued a letter of support from Ministry of Energy and Mines dated November 13, 2019 to allow Lanexang to approach and negotiate for Power Purchase Agreement with EVN;
- Lanexang issued a tariff offer letter to EVN in March 2020;
- GOL and Lanexang entered into negotiation on Concession Agreement in July 2020 and expected to conclude the agreement in January 2021.
A 2020 report on pollution in the Khammouane province referenced a 2019 assessment report on a 2 x 1,000 MW project.
The Petroleum Trading Lao Public Company (PetroTrade) website confirms that the company signed an agreement for a 2,000 MW coal power plant establishment project development in the Bualapha (Boualapha) district.
The United Nation's 2021 "Energy Transition Pathways for the 2030 Agenda: SDG 7 Roadmap for Lao PDR" report listed 2024 as the expected year of operation for the plant.
- Sponsor: Lanexang Property and Power, Shanghai Electric
- Parent company: Petroleum Trading Lao Public Company Limited, Shanghai Electric
- Location: Boualapha district, Khammouane Province, Laos
- Coordinates: 17.561016, 105.736571 (approximate)
- Status: Permitted
- Capacity: 2 x 1,000 MW
- Type: Ultra Supercritical
- Start date: 2024
- Coal Type: unknown
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Resources and articles
- "Boualapha Power Project," MC Andrew, accessed June 16, 2021
- “ສະພາບມນ ົ ລະພດ ິ ແຂວງຄາ ມ ່ ວນ ປີ 2020,” Lao Environment Protection Fund, 2020 (citing GRECO, 2019, ບດົລາຍງານຂ ມ້ ູນພື ້ນຖານຂອງຝ່ ຸນລະອອງ, ສຽງ ແລະ ການສັ ່ນສະເທອືນ ດຮງໄຟຟາ້ຖ່ານຫນີ ແຂວງຄ າມ່ວນ (2 x 1,000 MW))
- “Outstanding development award for PetroTrade chairman,” Petroleum Trading Lao Public Company (PetroTrade), accessed June 16, 2021
- “Energy Transition Pathways for the 2030 Agenda: SDG 7 Roadmap for Lao PDR,” The United Nations, 2021