Bulawayo power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Zimbabwe|
Bulawayo power station is a 90-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe.
It is being refurbished.
The map below shows the plant in Bulawayo.
The plant was commissioned between 1947 and 1957 as an undertaking by the Municipality of Bulawayo. It joined the Zimbabwe Electricity Supply Authority in 1987. While Bulawayo initially had an installed capacity of 120 MW, it was refurbished in 1999 to 90 MW. The main materials he plant uses the generation of electricity are coal, chemicals, oil, and greases. The station generates an average of 30 MW.
As of 2016, the plant is planned for refurbishment again at a cost of US$87 million. The plant will be 90 MW when completed, and is expected to be completed in mid-2018.
In April 2017, it was reported that work on the refurbishment would start soon after ZESA secured US$90 million from an unnamed Indian bank. A company said that a separate challenge for the plant was securing coal efficiently from Hwange Colliery, due to logistical challenges.
In June of 2019, a federal Committee toured the facility, stating that the machines were ancient, unreliable, unserviceable, and with no spare parts available for plants. The power station is still not operating, despite the projected 2018 start date. After securing $110 million from India's Eximbank and the Government of India, Bulawayo Power Station repowering had been stalled by contractual dispute between ZESA and Bulawayo City Council (BCC). The dispute was resolved in April 2019, with Zimbabwe Power Company receiving a license for the station after hearing objections from the Bulawayo Progressive Residents Association and the Bulawayo City Council.
- Sponsor: ZESA Holdings
- Parent company:
- Location: Bulawayo, Bulawayo province, Zimbabwe
- Coordinates: -20.158611, 28.575278 (exact)
- Status: Permitted
- Gross Capacity: 90 MW
- Type: Subcritical
- Projected in service: 2018 (refurbishment)
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing: US$110 million in debt from the Export-Import Bank of India and the Government of India
Articles and resources
- "Bulawayo Power Station," Zimbabwe Power Company, accessed Sep 2016
- "Bulawayo Thermal Power Station refurbishment to be completed in 2018," Sunday News Online, Jun 5, 2016
- "Preview of Bulawayo Thermal Power Plant (90MW) Rehabilitation | Transaction | IJGlobal". ijglobal.com. Retrieved 2020-12-18.
- "Zimbabwe: Refurbishment of Bulawayo Power Station Deferred," All Africa, Mar 3, 2016
- Robin Muchetu, "Byo Power Station refurbishment to start," Sunday News, 30 April 2017
- Zimbabwe: Parly Committee Condemns Zim's Run-Down Thermal Power Stations All Africa, June 2019
- Achieving self-sufficiency in electricity generation in Zimbabwe Bulawayo 24 News, accessed June 2019
- "ZPC gets licence for Bulawayo Power Station," Chronicle, 17 June 2019