Bumbun coal project
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
|Please visit Global Energy Monitor to download the dataset|
Bumbun coal project was a proposed opencast mine, operated by Adaro Metcoal Companies (AMC) Adaro Energy, and part of the IndoMet Coal Project, located 55 km west of Lampunut, Murung Raya Regency, Central Kalimantan Province, Indonesia. The mine project has since been shelved.
Bumbon is a part of the IndoMet Coal Project (previously referred to as the Maruwai coal project). In May 2016, the IndoMet Coal project is held by a joint venture between Australia-based mining giant BHP Billiton (75%) and Indonesia-listed mining company PT Adara Energy Tbk. (25%). However, in June of 2016, BHP Billiton sold its shares in IndoMet Coal to Adaro Energy.
According to EndCoal.org, IndoMet is "a series of massive coal mines that would destroy primary rainforest, deprive indigenous peoples of their customary land, and pollute water sources relied on by up to 1 million people."
Initial reports of Bumbon state reserves of 70 million tonnes of reserves. 
- Owner: IndoMet Coal Project
- Parent company: Alam Tri Abadi (Adaro Energy)
- Location: Murung Raya Regency, Central Kalimantan Province, Indonesia
- GPS coordinates: 0.224239, 113.550687 (approximate)
- Mine status: shelved
- Start year:
- Mineable reserves: 70 million tonnes
- Coal type: Bituminous
- Mine size:
- Mine type: Surface
- Additional proposed production:
- Number of employees:
Articles and resources
- BHP BILLITON ENTERS INTO A JOINT VENTURE FOR ITS INDONESIAN COAL PROJECT (MARUWAI) Press Release, March 31, 2010
- IndoMet Coal Project BankTrack, accessed Nov 26, 2019
- BHP Billiton, "BHP Billiton Enters Into a Joint Venture For Its Indonesian Coal Project (Maruwai)", Media Release, March 31, 2010.
- Tess Ingram BHP Billiton sells IndoMet Coal to JV partner Adaro Energy The Sydney Morning Herald June 7, 2016
- Endcoal.org BHP Billiton’s IndoMet Project: Digging Deep into the Heart of Borneo Fact sheet, October 2014
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Dave Murray, President BHP Billiton Metallurgical Coal, Analysts and Investors Site Visit", Queensland, June 2, 2005. (See slides 62-68 "BHP Billiton Maruwai Coal Project" for an overview of the proposed project).