Bundi coal Project
The Bundi coal project is a proposed underground coking coal mine, which has been withdrawn from the Queensland state approval process. An underground thermal coal mine was proposed to be located 20 km south west of Wandoan, Queensland, Australia.
Product coal was to be stockpiled at a rail load-out facility for loading onto trains and transportation to the Wiggins Island Coal Terminal. When the plan was live, it was expected that the mine would operate for 20 years.
In a 2018 Financial Statement, Metro coal said, "it is unlikely the Group will engage in any substantial exploration and evaluation activity at its Bundi coal tenements in the short to medium term. At 30 June 2018, the Group regard the most likely manner of recovering value from the Bundi coal tenements to be through a transaction in which the Group disposes of an interest in the tenements (e.g. through trade sale, farm-out or joint venture arrangement)."
The proposed site lies 20km South West of Wandoan, Queensland, Australia. The undated image below shows the approximate location of the proposed mine.
Coal Mine Background
On 22 April 2014, Metro Coal Limited voluntarily withdrew the Bundi Coal Project from the Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) assessment process.
The company stopped work on its tenements in 2013 due to the depressed coal market and delays in rail infrastructure to Queensland’s Surat Basin.
On 22 December 2010, an application was made by the proponent under section 71 of the Environmental Protection Act 1994 for the preparation of a voluntary EIS. The application was approved on 24 December 2010.
In accordance with section 41 of the Environmental Protection Act 1994, the proponent had prepared and submitted draft terms of reference for carrying out an EIS for the proposal to the department's chief executive.
The final terms of reference for the EIS were issued to the proponent on 1 July 2011.
- Parent Company: Metro Mining Ltd
- Location: 20 km south west of Wandoan in Queensland
- GPS Coordinates: -26.021614, 149.613529 (approximate)
- Status: Shelved
- Production Capacity: 6.5 mtpa
- Total Resource: 2001.6 Mt
- Mineable Reserves:
- Coal type: Thermal
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: Underground longwall mining
- Start Year:
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- Queensland Government, "Environmental Assessment Requirements", Queensland Government withdrawn or lapsed projects website, 19 July 2019.
- Metro Coal, "Coal projects", Metro Coal website, accessed 20 December 2019.
- Metro Coal, "Financial Statements for the Year Ended 30 June 2018", page 3, 30 June 2018.
- "Resources, Projects & Mines," "Metro Mining Limited website," accessed June 2020.