Bydgoszcz power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Poland and coal.|
|Part of the Global Gas Plant Tracker, a Global Energy Monitor and Center for Media and Democracy project.|
Bydgoszcz power station, in Kujawsko-Pomorskie Province, Poland, has 192 megawatts (MW) of coal-fired generating capacity.
The undated satellite photo below shows the power station in Bydgoszcz.
Bydgoszcz power station consists of two coal-fired plants: Bydgoszcz I and II. Bydgoszcz I is a two-unit, 14 MW plant built in 1941-65. Bydgoszcz II is 187 MW and consists of four units of 32-55 MW each, built in 1971-84. Its unit 5 was retired in 2015.
Proposed gas-fired station
In 2012 project sponsor Polska Grupa Energetyczna (PGE) invited five potential contractors to take part in a tender to build a gas-fired combined cycle power unit at the existing Bydgoszcz power station. The winning contractor will be responsible for building a unit with a power capacity of 220-270 MW or 400-450 MW. This proposed project was never built; however, in 2019, PGE proposed a new 52 MW gas-fired CHP unit that will begin operating in 2022.
In 2013 PGE signed a PLN $73 million contract ($17.5 million euro) with Alstom for the construction of a fluidized gas desulfurization retrofit to control pollution at the Bydgoszcz power station, planned for 2015.
- Sponsor: PGE Energia Ciepła SA
- Parent company: PGE Polska Grupa Energetyczna S.A.
- Developer: Alstom
- Location: Bydgoszcz, Kuyavian-Pomeranian
- Coordinates: 53.099, 18.0882 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Gross generating capacity (operating): 192 MW
- Bydgoszcz-2 power station Unit 1: Coal-fired subcritical, 55 MW (start-up in 1971)
- Bydgoszcz-2 power station Unit 2: Coal-fired subcritical, 32 MW (start-up in 1971)
- Bydgoszcz-2 power station Unit 3: Coal-fired subcritical, 55 MW (start-up in 1976)
- Bydgoszcz-2 power station Unit 4: Coal-fired subcritical, 50 MW (start-up in 1971)
- Gross generating capacity (proposed): 52 MW
- Gross generating capacity (retired): 35 MW
- Bydgoszcz-2 power station Unit 5: Coal-fired subcritical, 35 MW (start-up in 1984)
- Type: Subcritical CHP
- Start date: 1965 - 1984
- Coal Type: Hard coal
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Resources and articles
- "Bydgoszcz EC-II CHP Power Plant Poland," GEO, accessed March 2016
- "Five potential contractors enter tender to build power unit in Bydgoszcz," PMR, Sep 17, 2012.
- "PGE Energia Ciepła SA. Elektrociepłownia Branch in Bydgoszcz," PGE, accessed February 3, 2020.
- PGE Energia Ciepła ogłosiła przetarg na inwestycje w Bydgoszczy - BiznesAlert.pl
- "Alstom to build an FGD plant for PGE GiEK SA, Bydgoszcz Combined Heat and Power Plant Complex Branch," Alstom, Dec 24, 2013.
- Grupa - Kim jesteśmy