Byerwen Coal Project
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Australia and coal|
The Byerwen Coal Project is a coal mine project by Byerwen Coal, a subsidiary of joint venture between QCoal and JFE Steel Corporation. The mine is located approximately 20 km west of Glenden and 100 km south of Collinsville, Queensland, Australia.
The project plans to ramp up to produce 10 million tonnes of product coal a year from 15 million tonnes of run of mine coal.
The undated image below shows the exact location of the mine.
Coal Mine Background
This is a two phase project with planning permission for the second phase still required in March 2019. The second phase lies to the north of the location of the first phase.
Coal will be processed at two coal handing and preparation plants (CHPP) – northern and southern, which are proposed to be commissioned by the end of 2018. The southern CHPP will be used to process coal for the first 16 years of operation, while production will be scaled back when the northern CHPP is commissioned in the 17th year.
According to the Byerwen Coal website in January 2020, the company was granted the mining leases required for the project in May 2017. Mining operations have commenced and construction of the Stage 1 Coal Handling and Preparation Plant is complete.
Macmahon was awarded a three-year mining contract, worth $350m, for the Byerwen coal mine in August 2017. The scope of this work includes all the mining operations and bulk earthworks.
Construction of the mine commenced on 8 December 2015.
JFE Steel entered a long-term off-take contract with QCoal for the supply of two million tonnes of hard coking coal a year from Byerwen, in December 2009.
When the feasibility study of the project was being undertaken and the notional commissioning date of the project was 2012.
- Sponsor: Byerwen Coal
- Parent Company: joint venture between QCoal (85%) and JFE Steel (15%)
- Location: 20km west of Glenden, Bowen Basin, Queensland
- GPS Coordinates: -21.242828, 147.835392
- Status: Operating
- Production Capacity: 10 mtpa of product coal
- Total Resource: 690 million tonnes
- Mineable Reserves:
- Coal type: Hard coking coal and thermal coal
- Mine Size: 6,997 hectares
- Mine Type: Open-cut
- Start Year: 2017
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- Qcoal Group, "Byerwen Mine", accessed 20 January 2020.
- Qcoal Group, "Compliance report Byerwen Coal Project EPBC 2010/5778", page 2, 2 March 2019.
- QCoal Group"EIS - Summary", page 1, Queensland Government website 2013.
- State development, manufacturing, infrastructure and planning, "Coordinated projects map", Queensland Government website, 2 July 2019.
- Qcoal Group, "Compliance report Byerwen Coal Project EPBC 2010/5778", page 3, 2 March 2019.
- NS Energy, "Byerwen Coal Project, Queensland", NS Energy website accessed 20 January 2020.
- Qcoal Group, "Compliance report Byerwen Coal Project EPBC 2010/5778", page 1, 2 March 2019.
- Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics, "Minerals and energy: Major development projects", April 2010. (Pdf). The list is also available in Excel format here.) (Unavailable January 2020)
- State development, manufacturing, infrastructure and planning, "Byerwen Coal Project", Queensland Government website June 2019.