Zhangze Changzhi power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of China and coal|
Zhangze Changzhi power station (同煤漳泽电力漳泽发电分公司) is a 2,420-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Shanxi Province, China.
The photo below shows the plant in Shanxi Province.
Background on Plant
The plant is owned by Datong Coal Mining Group. The first two units, Units 1-2, were opened in 1985 and retired in 2010. Units 3-6, totaling 840 MW, were brought online between 1989 and 1991. Units 4 and 6 were retired in 2019.
Description of Expansion
Datong Coal Mining Group is currently planning to build the two-unit coal-fired Zhangze-3 power station, or Zhangze Changzhi units 7-8, with a total planned capacity of 2,000 MW. The new units are scheduled to be completed in 2016.
The project was approved for construction in December 2015.
2016: Nationwide Restrictions Imposed on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity
Due to new restrictions announced during 2016 by the National Energy Administration and the National Development and Reform Commission, further capacity expansions at this location appear to be on hold or cancelled. For details, see China's 2016 Restrictions on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity.
July 2017: Phase III halted by government
In July 2017, the NEA released the "Guideline of Supply-Side Reform of the Coal Power Bubble". The Guideline included a draft list which slowed down or halted 185 coal-burning units across 21 provinces, totaling 107 GW. 114 coal units (65 GW) are ordered to slow down the construction progress during 2017 to 2020, and are not allowed to connect to the grid in 2017. In addition, 71 coal units (42 GW) were halted indefinitely for regulation violations. The list partly overlapped with the projects listed in the January NEA letter to 13 provinces.
Zhangze Changzhi power station Phase III is among the halted coal-burning units, suspended indefinitely.
September 2017: Suspension lifted
After political negotiations, China's National Energy Administration (NEA) released an updated list of postponed and halted coal projects on September 26, 2017. The new list contained 151 units totaling 95 gigawatts (GW). Zhangze Changzhi power station phase III (units 7-8) were postponed rather than halted, meaning they will not be considered for further development until after the end of the 13th 5-year plan, in 2020.
For more information, see China's 2016/2017 Restrictions on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity.
2019: Constructions resumes
In April 2019 it was reported that construction was again underway on phase III (Units 7-8) of the power station.
2021: Expansion commissioned
Project Details for Phase III Expansion
- Sponsor: Shanxi Zhangze Electric Power
- Parent company: Datong Coal Mining Group
- Location: Zhangdian Road, Jiao District, Changzhi, Shanxi Province
- Coordinates: 36.3241154, 113.0810952 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Gross capacity: 2,000 MW (Units 7 & 8: 1,000 MW)
- Type: Ultra-Supercritical
- Start year: 2021
- Coal type:
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "漳泽发电厂改扩建工程初步设计通过预审查", 黄河新闻网大同频道, 2014-01-04
- "山西：关于加快做好2018年煤电淘汰关停验收工作暨制定2019年淘汰关停计划的通知," 北极星电力网新闻中心, 2018/10/19
- "漳泽电力2×1000MW工程项目", 山西漳泽电力股份有限公司, 2014-2-13
- "漳泽发电厂2×100万千瓦项目获批 为同煤长治煤电基地配套电源项目," 新浪, 2015/8/19
- "漳泽发电厂2×100万千瓦项目获山西省发改委核准批复," Shanxi Zhangze Electric Power, 2015-12-29
- "16部委联合发文防范化解煤电产能过剩风险," Sohu.com, 2017-08-03
- "2017年分省煤电停建和缓建项目名单," Sohu, 2017-10-12
- "同煤集团加快推进漳泽百万电厂项目建设_同煤宣传_大同煤矿集团公司," dtcoalmine.com, Apr 23, 2019
- "西北院牵头设计的漳泽发电厂“上大压小”改扩建工程1号机组投产," April 14, 2021
- "山西省首座百万电厂“双机”投产运营," 北极星电力网新闻中心, June 21, 2021