Cameby Downs mine
Cameby Downs is an open cut coal mine in Queensland owned ultimately by Yanzhou Coal Mining Company and operated by Yancoal Australia. The project is located 100 km north-east of Dalby and approximately 360 km northwest of Brisbane in Southeast Queensland in the Surat Basin in Queensland.
- Sponsor: Yancoal Australia
- Parent Company: Yanzhou Coal Mining Company
- Location: Located 100 km north-east of Dalby and approximately 360 km northwest of Brisbane in Southeast Queensland in the Surat Basin in Queensland.
- GPS Coordinates: -26.6540316, 150.3354945
- Status: operating
- Production Capacity:2.4 mtpa (2016)
- Total Resource:
- Mineable Reserves: 305.9 million tonnes (Proved and Probable, 2015) 
- Coal type: low ash thermal coal
- Mine Size: 27.2 square kilometers
- Mine Type: open cut
- Start Year: 2010
- Source of Financing:
Mining began at Cameby Downs coal mine in 2010. In addition to an open cut mine, the complex has a coal handling preparation plant with an annual capacity of approximately 220 tonnes per hour. After the coal is processed, it is transported to Brisbane Port using rail.
Since at least 2012, the mine’s owners and operators had planned to operate Cameby Downs under two stages: Phase I and Phase II.
The Phase I stage of the company’s plan would allow for production of about 1.8 million tonnes of coal per year. This phase occurred right when mining commenced. Phase II of the project would increase production over time to about 16 million tonnes of coal per year, which could occur largely via obtaining ‘port allocation’.
During Phase I, the mine’s life was estimated to be approximately 45 years.
Phase II: Expansion
Yancoal and Yangzhou began attempting to increase their annual production capacity as early as 2009. In 2009, Syntech Resources proposed increasing the production capacity from 1.8 million tonnes of coal per year to 25 million tonnes of coal per year.
After Yancoal acquired Cameby Downs, they revised the plan and suggested increasing annual production to 14 million tonnes of coal per year.
In 2016, Syntech Resources proposed increasing the annual mining rate to 3.5 Mtpa and increasing the life of the mine to approximately 75 years. In 2019, the Queensland Government approved this expansion to begin as soon as the company could begin.
Articles and resources
- "Cameby Downs Mine," "Major Data Solution," accessed June 2020.
- "CAMEBY DOWNS," "Yancoal website," accessed June 2020.
- United States Securities and Exchange Commission,"Yancoal Form20-F", SEC website, Accessed April 2021
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- "CAMEBY DOWNS CONTINUATION PROJECT," "Yancoal website," accessed June 2020.
- "Cameby Downs expansion project," "Queensland Government," August 3, 2015.
- Monica Gameng, "QLD Cameby Downs coal mine expansion receives approval," "PlantMiner," May 4, 2019.