|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
|Please visit Global Energy Monitor to download the dataset|
Casselman Mine is an underground coal mining operation in Casselman, Maryland, USA.
The map below shows the exact location of the mine.
The mine is owned by Maryland Energy Resources LLC, a subsidiary of the Indiana, Pennsylvia-based Joseph Peles Coal Company. The mine was planned to comprise more than 4,600 acres and include 15 million tons of recoverable coal.
In the week of October 1, 2010, the Maryland Department of the Environment issued a surface water discharge permit that essentially cleared the last procedural hurdle preventing development of a coal mine under the Casselman River. The permit allows Maryland Energy Resources LLC to discharge an average of 500,000 gallons of mine drainage per day, along with variable volumes of stormwater, into the North Branch of the Casselman from the underground mine.
The development of a coal mine in that area had been discussed openly by public officials since at least 2008. The Casselman Basin, which runs beneath Grantsville, is estimated to contain about 116 million tons of coal, according to MDE. Maryland Energy Resources applied for the discharge permit in February 2009, but a determination was delayed partly because of concerns expressed by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources over the mine’s potential impact on two state endangered species, the hellbender salamander and stonecat fish. Members of the public echoed those concerns in a May 19, 2010 public hearing. They also voiced concerns about acid mine drainage and other issues related to monitoring the mine discharge.
The mine began operation in 2013.
- Operator: Maryland Energy Resources LLC
- Owners: Corsa Coal Corp. (81%), Quintana Capital Group (19%)
- Location: Garrett, Maryland, USA
- GPS Coordinates: 39.657406, -79.202182 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Production (short tons): .523 million tons (2020)
- Total Resource:
- Total Reserves:
- Coal Type: Bituminous
- Mine Size:
- Mining Type: Underground
- Start Year:
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Maryland and coal
- U.S. coal politics
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- Proposed coal mines
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map:
- Megan Miller, "MDE approves permit for Casselman mine: Authorization moves project past final development hurdle" October 1, 2010.
- 2020 Annual Report, Corsa Coal, accessed 14 June 2022.
- "Major U.S. Coal Mines," Energy Information Administration